Topic: Thinking of a PS2.

Page 1 of 1
aflyingcow
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Well, I have a Dreamcast and that's all I really need but I have been interested in the PS2 for sometime.

I was wondering if lthere are mice and keyboards available for the PS2.
Also, I have broadband.. so to get online, do I just buy a PS2 with a BBA, and simply hook the cable? Or is there ISP information I have to input.

Thanks a lot.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:29 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
To answer your questions:
Any standard USB mouse and keyboard is compatible with the PS2. Its just a matter of finding games that are mouse/keyboard compatible.

The great thing about the PS2 network adaptor is that dialup and ethernet are both supported. You do have to set up your PS2 to access broadband. Since everyone has different internet service providers, everyone always goes through a process to get online with the PS2. Its a given. You might get lucky and get online in 10 minutes, or it might take you 30 minutes of tinkering, or more. Regardless, you should and will be able to get online with PS2.

The sony PS2 message boards at playstation.com have a whole forum dedicated to the network adaptor. There you will find a rich knowledge base of network adaptor installati on questions. I can't stress how imperitive it is to check those forums if your ever having a problem. There is information/posts regarding almost any type of difficulty you might be having.

Also I can help you out on here as well.

Basicallly if you have a hub/router you should be able to jack in, run the ps2 NA startup disc, and set it to auto-detect, and give it a DHCP hostmask name. And bam your online. If you are connecting it right into a DSL modem or a cable modem from your ISP, you might have to configure everything. Which gets a little tricky.

About the keyboard thing though, it was very kool that PS2 accepts all USB pc keyboards, because i was playing midnight club 2, but using the on screen kb in MC2 is brutal. So I am staring at my PS2, eyeing the USB ports, i grab my PC keyboard, stick it in, and presto, it worked.
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 pm
quote : #3
Wow! Thanks for the help LN.