Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:45 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Some of you here own one of these and seem to enjoy it more than the ds2. Why is it better? If it is a lot better, I can buy one from a local store for less than $10. I just don't want to spend money on something really similar to the ds2 unless it noticeably feels better to use.
Posted:
Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:16 pm
quote : #2
The Dual Shock 1 controller, preferably the "psOne" revision design, is built like a tank. It has a heavier weight to it, and the buttons are digital not analog. They don't feel squishy, but instead have a very solid press to them. With the Dual Shock 2 you often have to press the button down ALL the way in order for it to react properly in some games. Especially certain racing games that go so far as to use the DS2's analog features for gradual accelleration. However this means you would have to squeeze the living hell out of your controller.

Using a DS1 means you get instant response time. This is really important when playing any game that requires fast reflexes... and in many online games especially shooters... you want that.

Finally, the Analog sticks on the Dual Shock 1 are a bit more exacting than the DS2's analog sticks. The "zero" point of the DS1's sticks is more precise. One game where this is immediatly evident is in Project Snowblind. Your aiming is far more fluid and less jerky in that game when using the DS1 rather than the DS2.

Due note: Not all games are compatible. So you will still need to keep your DS2 around. (See compatibility list here)
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:24 pm
quote : #3
Lordnikon already pretty much stated why I like the dualshock 1 more than dualshock 2. I would defintely pick one up if you can get one for 10 bucks. The dualshock 1's analog sticks feel a lot more fluid to me. My dualshock 1's analog sticks have stayed just as fluid feeling after probably a year of use. My dualshock 2's all develop a problem where the analog sticks start not moving as fluidly. Like, they start to feel like they have resistance against moving and make creaking noises after like 6 months of heavy use. I found my aiming was significantly improved in first person shooters because of the dualshock 1's better analog sticks. Plus, it even made games like katamari much easier to control.
Posted:
Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:00 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
... and in many online games especially shooters...

I'm sold Laughing

I'll probably get one sometime in the near future...my dualshock 2 feels fine to me though and I've had it for about 5 years. The pad that covers the stick is loose though and it spins around but I've learned to deal with it to the point that I don't even notice it. So I don't have a huge drive to go and get one, but I'd like to try it out.
Posted:
Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 pm
quote : #5
trust me I was like you, it is worth it, their cheap and you'll notice the difference, why wait a couple of months to just spend $10? It's a small investment that will have huge benefits.
Posted:
Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:29 pm
quote : #6
my impression of the DS1 is that the controller felt more heavy duty. the DS2 works fine for me too. if i did not already own a few DS1 controllers i probably would not run out and get one. i also agree with Nikon on the quality of the DSone. not that the normal DS1 controller is bad, just that the DSone that i have seems to be slightly better than my normal Dual shock controllers. i have a few of them, one is clear plastic and the rest are the standard gray ones.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 pm
quote : #7
I'm just not sure it's more worth it to spend $10 on a DS1 or $10 on a game like Timesplitters: FP
Posted:
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:37 pm
quote : #8
heh, well get tsfp first, but you will need a ds1 anyways after to get a better experience from the game