Page Location: Home > Support > LAN Tunneling > Topic
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, I had to move back to my parents house recently. I got my router all setup, both my parents pc and my pc could browse the internet at the same time alright. So, one would assume everything was setup right and port forwarding would be all that was needed to get my xlink to work.

Well, I tried port forwarding and this port checking program which I always have used before to check if my ports are open ( http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm ) was saying that port 30000 was still not open. I had setup a static ip on my pc and forwarded port 30000 to it in my router menu like I have done before, and nothing I did would work.

I tried doing this with other ports, I turned off my firewall, I even set my pc on dmz in the router and STILL, no ports were getting opened.

This made me realize the problem was not with my router, and was with my internet company. I have AT&T DSL Internet (known as SBC in other states)

I used google to just type in stuff about problems with my router and AT&T dsl internet and came upon some interesting forums where they were discussing that a lot of times AT&T "modems" really are routers in disguise. This was my problem.

The brand of my modem is "Westell" and it is a tiny black box that only has one ethernet jack, a jack for the phone chord, and a power chord jack. Here is a picture of it http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh219/lazyhoboguy/?action=view&current=noname-2.jpg&newest=1

AT&T always referred to it as a modem when dealing with them. It says nothing about it being a router on the top. In fact, it has a sticker on the top which twice only refers to the device as a "modem". However, when I turned it over, I saw in tiny print it said "adsl2 + router" and it gives you an ip address to type in to access the online option menu for the device. Even here it refers to the device as a "modem"

So, for anyone else that happens to have to this model of modem. I will tell you what I had to do in the modem menu to allow my router to function properly. Click on the "Advanced" button. The click on the "connection configuration" button that appears. Then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you will see it say this

"A very limited number of applications require that the public IP address assigned to the modem be used by the local LAN device."

Then it says "Let LAN device share Internet address?"

By default, the device is set to the "No, use private IP address" option. Instead of using that, change it to "Yes, use public IP address."

Once I did this and restarted my modem and router I could succesfully port forward using my router. Until you change this option in the modem menu, your modem is basically acting like the router, then your real router cannot do anything because everything is already blocked on the modem before it even reaches the router. That is why setting my router on dmz even still would not open any ports.

So yea, hope this helps some of you. AT&T DSL internet is pretty prominent around the area I live and I am sure they operate across the USA, even if their company name is slightly changed. Perhaps other DSL internet providers do this same thing, so if you have tried everything with your router and still have no success think about checking out your modem.
Posted:
Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:07 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
its funny that you posted this, because i think i mentioned it in another post trying to help you guys out. I went thru this exact same issue like 3 months ago, when i switched my internet service to at&t dsl.

Aparantly the term - "A very limited number of applications require that the public IP address assigned to the modem be used by the local LAN device." - refers to ALL gaming systems, not just ps2, and also blocks out xlink as well.
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:46 pm
quote : #3
Well my ps2 and other systems could play normal online before I figured this out. It just means your router is basically useless until you switch that option and if normal ps2 online games require ports to be forwarded you are similarly screwed .The modem menu itself does not allow you to port forward, that is why you cannot get xlink working until you change this setting.

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 pm:

I did not notice you mentioning this before actually haha. I had read on portforward.com that sometimes modems could block stuff and needed to port forward to the router first, but that is all they said about this and gave no details on how you would do that.
Posted:
Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:12 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
well with me, the day i got my dsl hooked up (switched from cable internet) i noticed that something wasnt right. my systems were connecting to the net, but they were not connecting PROPERLY. Voice chat wasnt working right, they were taking longer to connect, ports that were normally open were now not working, etc. And keep in mind that im using the same router that I have been with no changes made to it, and everything worked perfectly before I switched. So after a day or so of searching the net and various networking sites I figured this out. Now that you have it set up properly, you will probably notice a difference when playing your systems online normally as well.

Also just for reference to anyone who else may be reading this: the modem I received from at&t is different than the one you have lazybum, its a motorola modem, but the exact same settings apply to it.
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:56 pm
quote : #5
Yea, I think regardless of the brand of modem, any you get from AT&T will have this problem. I think this is because besides this cheap standard "modem" they try to offer you one that cost about 100 dollars and is a modem/router combo that has like 4 Ethernet jacks and wireless internet built in. So, I think they purposely don't tell you the basic modem is really a router. They want you to think that your router will not work and you have to buy their overpriced piece of crap modem/router combo that you would only ever be able to use with their AT&T DSL internet.
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:11 am
quote : #6
On the xlink forums they actually mention this in a post. I never saw this before in the stickies, so it must have been stickied somewhat recently.

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27168
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:53 am
quote : #7
Ah, if my head wasn't buried in books when you initially posted this thread, I could've told you lots about this. If you're using the same modem I had, good luck; those things have a nasty habit of dying almost directly AFTER your warranty runs out.