Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
killer-elite
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi, I just won a Copy of SEGA Superstars from SEGA Of Europe....they had a contest on their Website and I won a Free Copy of the game but since I'm from the US with a NTSC Console I was wondering if getting a Boot Disk that allows you to play games from any regions ( PAL, NTSC, etc.) would let me play this game on my console. The Reason I ask is that this game uses the Eye Toy as it controler and since different locations around the world use diffrent equitment ( the eye toy camera itself) to film video (PAL, NTSC,ect) would this be a problem for me??? Thanks in advance for the help.

PS. If any one is willing to trade this game for say a NTSC game I would galdly do so...the game is stil sealed in its packaging...MINT Condition!

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:12 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was also wondering if it is at all possible to play PAL PS2 games on a NTSC ps2 and TV? From what I have seen it looks to be impossible?
Posted:
Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am
quote : #3
I have played PAL games on another ntsc system and ntsc tv with other games and it works. So I dont know why it shouldn't work with a Ntsc ps2, any information on this would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Posted:
Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:41 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
I have something called Swap Magic which allow me to play NTSC games on my PAL console (vice versa is also possible).

There could be some issues if your TV isn't compatible though (black and white picture and "jumpy" screen).
Posted:
Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:55 am
quote : #5
Anemptybox wrote:
There could be some issues if your TV isn't compatible though (black and white picture and "jumpy" screen).

Yea this is the biggest problem for people here in the US. The discs can be booted, but the PAL video signal is incompatible with our TV's.
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:12 pm
quote : #6
Ah ok, see I wasn't sure if the problem was the console or games or tv signals. I guess there is nothing that can be done about this unless I spent a crapload of money to import a PAL tv and some type of power adapter?
Posted:
Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:13 pm
quote : #7
lazybum wrote:
Ah ok, see I wasn't sure if the problem was the console or games or tv signals. I guess there is nothing that can be done about this unless I spent a crapload of money to import a PAL tv and some type of power adapter?

What about outputting to a monitor? I know there is not an ideal way to use PS2 on a monitor but it can be done with various devices and would be far cheaper than importing a TV
Posted:
Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:33 pm
quote : #8
I have an lcd widescreen moniter, so even if I could get it to work on here. It would look like crap since it would be like playing it on an hd tv. Maybe down the road when I have a more permanent place to live I could get another old moniter to try this out with.
Posted:
Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:34 am
quote : #9
You would need a PAL to NTSC converter. Which I have not experimented with yet. There are a gillion models out there.
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:43 pm
quote : #10
lazybum wrote:
I have an lcd widescreen moniter, so even if I could get it to work on here. It would look like crap since it would be like playing it on an hd tv. Maybe down the road when I have a more permanent place to live I could get another old moniter to try this out with.

Honestly, I dunno about that statement. I think if you were REALLY serious about playing a PAL game on your NTSC PS2 with your computer, you could just try to hook your PS2 up through your USB video capture device rather than hooking it up directly to your monitor. Also, you may or may not have noticed the option yet, but you can change your video modes from NTSC to PAL to SECAM through the majority of programs you use to capture your video.

Frame rate might take a bit of a hit though....
Posted:
Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:24 pm
quote : #11
Gforce wrote:
lazybum wrote:

Honestly, I dunno about that statement. I think if you were REALLY serious about playing a PAL game on your NTSC PS2 with your computer, you could just try to hook your PS2 up through your USB video capture device rather than hooking it up directly to your monitor. Also, you may or may not have noticed the option yet, but you can change your video modes from NTSC to PAL to SECAM through the majority of programs you use to capture your video.

Frame rate might take a bit of a hit though....

Playing through my capture card is not really an option for me. IT would make tons of controller lag and would destroy the frame rate.