rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
http://www.iplayplaystation.com/ps2-saves-homebrew-tutorial/

This program is called uLaunchELF.

Apparently all you have to do to get this to work is burn the program to a blank cd and stick it in your PS2. It should then allow you to copy memory card data to a usb thumb drive. I am going to test this out with my spare memory card when I get some time to see if it really works right.

I did not discover it myself. AdmiralHowdy let me know about it here http://s7.zetaboards.com/Rec_Room/topic/8231377/1/#new when I was asking about a device or way to get other people's Timesplitters: Future Perfect mapmaker saves.

Some guy also said it is possible to edit game saves from other regions with a few additional programs http://s7.zetaboards.com/Rec_Room/topic/8197767/1/#new.Then you could download the game saves and transfer them to your memory card using the uLaunchELF program.
Posted:
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:29 pm
quote : #2
Ah, I know a bit about this stuff. I use uLaunchELF to boot emulators and what not on my PS2. I think you'll have to tape around your PS2's laser and a couple more things if you want it to boot blank CDs. You wouldn't have to burn anything if you could do the independence exploit(search around for that) on your slim PS2, but there's something about the newer chipset on the system that fixes the exploit...
Posted:
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:33 pm
quote : #3
Well I just stuck a blank cd with music on it into my slim ps2 and it played fine. What is the memory card exploit?
Posted:
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:35 pm
quote : #4
lazybum wrote:
Well I just stuck a blank cd with music on it into my slim ps2 and it played fine. What is the memory card exploit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2_Independence_Exploit

Alla dat, hahaha.
Posted:
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 pm
quote : #5
I read that before actually. The problem is that the " original Independence Exploit method does not work on newer 'slim' PS2 models. " I have the newest model of slim ps2. I still have my fat ps2, but I will not have the space in my new apartment to take that with me when I move out.
Posted:
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm
quote : #6
lazybum wrote:
I read that before actually. The problem is that the " original Independence Exploit method does not work on newer 'slim' PS2 models. " I have the newest model of slim ps2. I still have my fat ps2, but I will not have the space in my new apartment to take that with me when I move out.

Exactly, but that's why I mentioned the "if." Some company actually released a memory card called Memor32 that lets you boot stuff from memory card on slim or fat PS2's, but it's got a really nasty price on it. Either way, good luck getting uLaunch to work right. The work you apply to getting it work will open lots of possibilities for your PS2.
Posted:
Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am
quote : #7
Yea this seemed to good to be true and looks like it is. I tried burning this to a cd and both my slim and fat ps2 could not detect the program on it. Readng about this program on other sites, it seems way more complicated and time consuming to get working than the first tutorial I found.
Posted:
Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:46 am
quote : #8
Type: PAL
This programm is great but I have only found savegames in a specific format on the internet so far (for example Action Replay). The PS2 saves the games in folders so these AR saves are no use for me.
Posted:
Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
sorry to resurrect what seems like an "inactive" thread as my first post but i have used this method to get my PC THPS3, THPS4 and THUG saves onto the PS2 with 100% success (bar THPS3 where the custom skater file recorded i had every level on PC but on PS2 i'm missing the cruise ship when i transfer it over).

but with custom skaters, if importing from a pc version you have to first create a custom skater on the console with the same name as the PC one (so i had to create "JJXB" on the console since my PC CAS is called "JJXB") otherwise you get data load errors and crashes. this rule applies to THPS3 to THUG as far as i've tested.