Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
… So now what?

What games are still on-line?
What are the best/most common/fullest?
Is anything new still coming out?
Are there any browsers or other on-line content (Like the Dreamcast?)

And lastly, are there and good RPG games on-line for the PS2

So far I’ve got it connected and played (and lost) an networked game of 'Fife 08'. That’s it! As you can tell I’ve no clue about the PS2 online.
Any suggestions would be welcome!

gary_b
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:26 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
garg wrote:
… So now what?

What games are still on-line?
check the online games list here. all you need to do is choose the system link or online games in your region. Nikon has done an excellent job of keeping that list up to date.

garg wrote:

What are the best/most common/fullest?
a good place to start is the top online games listed on the main page here at the PS2 forum. Armored Core. jak x, Midnight Club 2, Star Wars Battlefront I & II, Tribes Aerial Assault and Twisted Metal Black: Online. these games may not have the highest player count, but that is not the reason why they are the top games atm. they are the top games here because they have lan functions and are online for ever. im sure Nikon has other reasons to focus on them too.

garg wrote:

Is anything new still coming out?
yes there will be some more new games. i am not sure how many or when Sony is offically pulling the plug on the PS2? im sure someone else will be able to better fill you in on this?

garg wrote:

Are there any browsers or other on-line content (Like the Dreamcast?)
as far as i know there never was a browser made. there might be other online content, but im not sure what off of the top of my head?

garg wrote:
And lastly, are there and good RPG games on-line for the PS2
you just missed PSU. the servers are set to shut down next month i believe? im not sure if there are any other RPGs still online?

garg wrote:
So far I’ve got it connected and played (and lost) an networked game of 'Fife 08'. That’s it! As you can tell I’ve no clue about the PS2 online.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
start with the top games here and sign up for xlink. that is the best advice i can give you Very Happy

garg
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:53 pm
quote : #3
Thanks for a comprehensive reply.

I’ll have a look for some of the games you mentioned, thanks.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:15 pm
quote : #4
gary_b wrote:
im not sure if there are any other RPGs still online?

there are, Champions: Return to Arms for example (it has no monthly fee too)

Also, xlink may be a bit confusing at first, so I would recommend getting a game that also has the normal online option to start out. I think getting Star Wars Battlefront 1 or 2 would be good games to get, because they have both the regular online option and the LAN feature which xlink is used through.
Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:21 pm
quote : #5
Since you're PAL, you can try to locate a Network Access disk. I read you can access the web by finaggling with it..... In terms of RPG's, you can view the Online Game List at the top of the page and then navigate to your region. There appears to be about 7 online RPG's still live.
Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 pm
quote : #6
Im no fan of rpgs but I know everquest is still online. It costs money though. Same thing with final fantasy 11 but u need a hardrive which u cant get with the slim.

garg
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:48 pm
quote : #7
No_Limits wrote:
xlink may be a bit confusing at first, so I would recommend getting a game that also has the normal online option to start out...
Yeh! I noticeed there seemed to be different ways of getting on-line when I was reading some posts about on-line PS2 stuff...

I've found a hand full of games that I already had that (I think) have the 'normal' on-line option.
So what is xlink, what has it, what's the difference and how do you use it?

P.s.

So what's youre reccomended (free) RPG?