Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 9:54 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-J
i still play this offline occasionally and its keeping me busy until i can import Mh2 and MhG. it takes a lot of work getting all the materials you need when you're playing offline, in addition, the expenses of the weapons/armor are hard to keep up with, but its still great fun playing. you have to combine materials to get the lesser available ones that you could originally just purchase online (e.g. catalyst, nurtrients), so this makes gathering a much more necessary aspect of the gameplay. personally, i enjoy it since nothing comes easy. i use my offline guy named Balthazar. i only have one memory card for my Ps2 (yea i coud get another one), so i have 3 characters. the first two characters total my online hours (between them - 2,029 hrs)

today i made the graviton hammer. im trying to get all full sets of blademaster armor, a few gunner ones, and all decent weapons i guess. mainly im using the siegmund, eager cleaver, ogre tusk, spiked spear and master's blade (recently carved monoblos heart for this.. finally), so i wanted a good hammer to use. its got poison element which i like, ok sharpness and 728 base attack. with my attack up large skill, its 754.

next is getting the cephalos armor set and mining all the earth crystals i can to upgrade my rusted sword into the eternal strife. currently im wearing full rathalos gear to get things done.

Posted Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:05 pm:

well, just to update, i completed pretty much everything i wanted to do. i got the eternal strife and completed the Troublesome Pair quest. i didnt have much time left, but i did feel very accomplished none the less! basically all i was dealing to them was dragon element damage, since the ES has laughable attack power.

TheOneFreeman
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:36 pm
quote : #2
I bought this game back in Christmas '07, played it for 20 minutes online just before the servers went down and haven't really put that much effort into it. But recently I started it up and I LOVE it but I can only imagine how great it was online. While playing offline, I was wondering if you can actually do some of these quests alone such as the sand dragon liver quest (IDK they're real names lol). Was this game meant to be played alone?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:33 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ah yes the Liver of Legend quest. Are you dying a lot? or just having a hard time taking down the Cephalos (things swimming through the sand). They can be quite tricky to take down and you really need a decent weapon to be able to strike them and get them to pop up out of the sand. It is ALL about timing. I love this quest because of the skill it takes to kill the cephalos. It is really fun.

Some tips are to wait for the cephalos to swim right past you and time your strike so you hit them in the middle of their tail. So in the groove between the high archive of their back, and where the tail is poking out of the sand in the back. If your weapon is capable of doing enough damage they will pop up out of the sand, and then you can take them down.

Even online, that quest can be a bit tricky with multiple people.
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:17 pm
quote : #4
Ill have to try that, though its depressing knowing that I missed out on one of the games most defining features. That and the Velocidrome quest, that KILLED me, but I finally killed him by myself. I usually use the lance (I love it) and I just made a bone sword which I'll use for the cephaloses.

shrap
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:23 am
quote : #5
a good strong hammer is very good for popping these little buggers out of the sand but yea this is one hard mission. oh and yea this was one of my all time favorite games for online play. the only thing i wish it had had was voice support b/c it would have made life alot esier when taking down some of the bigger monsters.

TheOneFreeman
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm
quote : #6
Haha. Well guess who finally beat that Liver of Legend quest after a year? I let my friend borrow it for ages and got it back today and beat 2 quests I couldn't before. Ah I missed you Monster Hunter......

shrap
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 am
quote : #7
online for the liver of legend quest was best b/c the piscines on other peoples machines didn't always sinc up with mine so it often looked like they were smacking away at empty desert.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:35 pm
quote : #8
shrap wrote:
online for the liver of legend quest was best b/c the piscines on other peoples machines didn't always sinc up with mine so it often looked like they were smacking away at empty desert.

Hahaha yes so true. Eventually we would try to attack the same spot as each other to deal damage to the Piscines on the other persons screen to help each other out hehe. Like, I think the other persons sword would do damage on your screen, but on theirs they would just hit sand.
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 am
quote : #9
So, how robust is the single player experience in this game? Also, is this the only monster hunter game released on the ps2 in the USA? I have never played a monster hunter game but they sound pretty interesting.
Posted:
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:46 am
quote : #10
Even though this was an online game that encouraged cooperation between players, playing it solo is still really fun. There are a bunch of features that were only available online, but there is plenty to do offline. One of the hallmarks of this game is that there are no lockon functions. You have to time your strikes just right, which requires some skill. Also, no matter how powerful you are, any given battle has the potential for you to die. There is further replay value in building various Armor sets (since you build weapons and armor from acquired parts from monsters you slay).

Yes there is just one Monster Hunter game released in the US, simply titled "Monster Hunter".
rank 8
Posted:
Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 am
quote : #11
just beat the cephaladrome last night after something like five tries god the single player in this game is merciless but i unlocked the 4 star quests. now all i have to do is take down that damn rathalos and i'll be further than i ever was before. well lets hope for the best.