Page 1 of 1
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:21 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I got it last week since I liked playing KOF 98 and 2000 for MAME. My problem with it is that the whole design of the game is so unappealing to me that it almost hurts my eyes to play it. Suppose I'll just purchase the respective PS2 versions of the games I mentioned earlier...
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 am
quote : #2
What do you mean by design? Menu's? Backgrounds?
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:07 am
quote : #3
Yes, the menus and backgrounds are part of my issue. In terms of menus, character selection, and messages (3 hit combo!, counter!, etc.) appearance, the game looks like somebody used premade graphics that came with a design program.

When it comes to the fighting, the design gives me issues to.

When I look at all the gauges (life, supers) and bars on my TV, it just hurts my eyes since they are all so ugly and non-unique. To add to it, they appear much more tiny on my TV (a somewhat large one) than they do in this screenshot.

It doesn't seem to be an issue on that stage pictured above, but I also dislike how the characters mesh with the backgrounds. When I play KOF 98 and 2000, I like how the graphical style of the characters perfectly compliments the backgrounds. That is, I've got my 2D chars over here and I've got my well drawn background to complete the look. However, in this game, the sprites of the characters seem really rough around the edges and the backgrounds only serve to make things look worse. I guess the best way I could explain my distaste is to say that the character sprites appear to be from the early 90's, but the backgrounds seem to be from the 00's and when they mix together, you get a REALLY ugly and painful to see result.
Posted:
Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 pm
quote : #4
The King of Fighters XI is an Atomiswave game, and doesn't run in 240p. Plus, yes the backgrounds aren't crafted in the same way as the sprites, which is why you have hi-rez looking backgrounds with 2D sprites of a much lower pixel count.

Also, yes the menus and artwork is all done in a high resolution without it being done in pixels. Its just all artwork and designs.

Despite this, the overall gameplay and char roster are rather well respected within the KOF community. Though I can totally understand your disdain for the games graphic design aesthetics.

On the plus side, you can at least tweak the filter on the char sprites in the options menu.