Page 1 of 1
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Those side comments Rommel and Nikon made in the Ventrillo thread got me thinking about this. I was never really to amazed with voice chat when it first started appearing and only saw it as an extra nuisance so, in my eyes, keyboard chat has always seemed like the better option.

I've grown insanely annoyed with crappy in game voice chat and even more annoyed with having to put up with something so damn fragile and expensive as my only means of communication; I can't count the number of times while playing Battlefield I wish I could just type to a person without a mic what I needed. In addition, I've got 3 dead mics laying in my room now that I can only speak on but not hear with and even more annoying is that all these started screwing up even though I was taking good care of them! Now, I don't think I've played a PS2 title where you can "mute" someone in keyboard chat, but it is nice to not have to literally listen to idiots to.
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm
quote : #2
Yea generally, I still prefer keyboard chat over voice chat. The voice quality in ps2 headset enabled games is usually pretty bad. PC programs like skype and ventrillo have good voice quality, but not everyone has their pc in the same room as their tv. I really hate voice chat when i am playing with randoms in online games. They drive me mad. I only use voicechat if I know the people, and even then sometimes it annoys me. For some games, talking while I play takes out some of the fun since it is harder to concentrate on playing and appreciate everything that is going on in the game. So when I do use voice chat, I sometimes tell the people I cant talk during the game, but will talk during the breaks between games in the lobbies and stuff. That way we don't have to get up after every game and check our pc screens for new instant messages to see whats up between games.

Last edited by lazybum on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 pm
quote : #3
lazybum wrote:
For some games, talking while I play takes out some of the fun since it is harder to concentrate on playing and appreciate everything that is going on in the game. So when I do use voice chat, I sometimes tell the people I cant talk turing the game, but will talk during the breaks between games in the lobbies and stuff.

Hahaha, me to! When I would play Burnout 3 online I would never talk while I raced and players would ALWAYS ask me why I wouldn't say anything. Talking while playing certain types of titles (basically any genre but shooters) seriously does take me out of the game and it puts me at this place where I'm playing but I'm not engrossed in what I'm doing like I want to be.
Posted:
Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 am
quote : #4
If i am playing with people I know and it's nothing competitive I enjoy voice chat since you can just bs and have fun while you play. And i definitely prefer voice chat in game that have no sort of useful communication what so ever (tribes). If bigger games get going sometimes i like to put the headset aside, I guess the ppl you play with just have to learn "voice chat etiquette" and you won't have any real problems. Voice chat is good when your playing with friends and regular people you play with, I can understand not wanting voice chat with randoms, but I can honestly say there are rarely games on this site that reach the number of players who actually have headsets, that it would make the voice chat go into complete chaos.
Posted:
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:19 am
quote : #5
for me if it's a game like socom voice chat is a must if i'm playing compettivley b/c you can relay info instantly. if i'm just goofing around i'll turn it off though don't need to know how many 13 year olds banged my mother. and as far as keyboards go there ok in lobbies but when i'm playing there useless to me b/c like if i need to relay info quick it has to be voiced. my biggest complaint about monster hunter was that if a wyvern were toasting me i couldn't type help fast enough.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2010 9:30 pm
quote : #6
shrap wrote:
if i'm just goofing around i'll turn it off though don't need to know how many 13 year olds banged my mother.

Actually thats pretty concerning, I would like to know that fact so I can make sure my mother is not mistreated again.
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 am
quote : #7
Type: Play station 2
Voice chat