Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:25 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Earlier today I wanted to play SOCOM on the PS2 for the nostalgic feel to it. Yet I had a big problem when i tried to boot it up.

Here are the steps I took when booting it up:
1.I set up my PS2 the same way any console is set up.
[checked power cable and video cable to make sure they where plugged in correctly]
2.Turned it on and everything went smoothly
[no scratching sounds, etc.]
3.right after the cubes started fading out, the PS2 logo is seen and the console automatically shuts off!

at first I thought one of my cats ran into the extension cable while playing with the other cat, but they were both asleep!
then I thought my power cable was cut or something.

I tried to see if anything was wrong externally, but I don't feel like opening my PS2 to see if anything crapped out inside!

But if there is no explanation for this matter then it's ok!
as of now, I have no plans of buying a new one so that's out of the question!
[btw thanks for any info]
Posted:
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 pm
quote : #2
Did you test any other games?

Is your PS2 connected directly to the wall? or is it connected to a surge protector? (not a power strip, but a legitimate surge protector)
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 pm
quote : #3
yeah, I tried all 4 SOCOM games, Killzone, The Bard's Tale[out of curiosity], and some other games.

I have it connected to a surge protector[got one after something else blew with a blackout].

just a few minutes ago I got somewhere far beyond the PS2 logo, when I tried Combined Assault it got all the way to where it loads the update but then shut off again!

I almost shot up in excitement until that Mad
Posted:
Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:06 am
quote : #4
As of yet I have never seen a PS2 shut off and I have abox of about 20 broken PS2 and have cleared loads before that. So safe to say does not sound like a common problem.

My first suggestion would be is it over heating? Check the fan is spinning. Seems to quick to be over heating but worth a look as a first step.

Laters
Posted:
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 am
quote : #5
Maybe your power chord got messed up? You have any spares to try?
Posted:
Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:52 pm
quote : #6
I hope i didn't confuse PS2 consoles ince I have three fat ones!

my first one has a skull sticker but it died a long time ago, same thing with the second one, now this on is the last fatty I bought a while ago.

I made sure the power cable wasn't chewed.

the fan sound goes on, obviously the air goes in so I don't know if any actually goes in at all!
I checked if any kind of draft was felt and I also put a small single layer piece of tissue paper to see if it would stick and it did until it shut off again!
so then the fan does work.

is it possible that the PS2 has some sort of hardware deffect?

now that I think about it, it must have fallen somehow, but none of my systems have fallen when I was around!
it is possible that it was dropped in my absense.

I would shake it but that might make it worse!

edit: I'll try the extra power cords, but all three seem to be in the same condition. and obviously the video works!
Posted:
Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:43 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
Obviously at you the problem which often meets on PS2 and dreamcast it is obvious at you a problem with the power unit most пс2. Its replacement will help only Smile.В any case I advise to hand over a prefix in repair Smile