Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm looking for a controller converter that goes to the PlayStation type of plug.

I know that there are lots of controller converters out there that will allow you to use PS1 and PS2 controllers on most other modern systems (I've seen them for Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox). What I'd really like is a converter that will allow me to use other controllers on my PS2. I would especially like a Dreamcast to PlayStation converter, since that would allow the daisy-chaining of converters from Saturn to Dreamcast to PlayStation (although I'd be satisfied with any controller converter that allows other controllers on the PS2).

I know that most people consider the PS2 Dual Shock to be the best controller out there (and for the most part I agree), but I want to do this for two reasons, both of which revolve around fighting games:
  1. I have quality arcade sticks for another system that I'd like to use with PS2 fighting games.
  2. The PlayStation's controller has one weakness; the digital directional pad. I prefer to use the digital d-pad instead of the analog stick when playing fighting games (especially 2D fighters), and there are many other systems that have superior d-pads (Sega Saturn comes to mind). I would like the opportunity to use some other controllers on the PS2 just for the d-pad alone.

So, has anyone ever seen a controller converter that goes to the PlayStation controller type instead of from it?
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:42 pm
quote : #2
man i was looking for that converter for ya but i couldnt find it but man this is a great deal for all that comes with it its a online games pack i tried to put a link but i didnt work it cam with a key board and a mic and an ethernet cable all for 39.99 man that is a good deal so if you dont have one i suggest u get this its all at gamestop.com ......

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:57 pm
quote : #3
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying... Did you find one at gamestop.com? I can't seem to find anything like that there.

Even the Smartjoy Corner at Lik-Sang.com doesn't have a single adapter that lets you use a non-PlayStation controller on a PlayStation console. They've got just about everything else, including something that lets you use PlayStation/Dreamcast/Saturn pads on Xbox. They even have adapters for using PlayStation pads on older stuff like Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx 16, Neo Geo, etc. But they've got nothing that goes to a PlayStation console.

Did something like this ever exist?
kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:50 pm
quote : #4
Martianviking,

I'm in the same boat, desparately trying to find a converter for all my Dreamcast controllers, so I can use them on my PS2. Unfortunately, I don't believe one exists.

I have directly contacted Madcatz, Lik-Sang, Level Six, Toys N Joys, Baysoftgames, Play-Asia.com, and also that company making the multiplatform Arcade X controller, and they all do not believe one exists. Crying or Very sad

Some company is missing a huge opportunity here. Joybox is a company that specializes in converters, but unfortunately, the closest they come is an adapter allowing Dreamcast controllers to be used on the X-Box.

I really don't feel like buying every conceivable controller yet again for the PS2. Does anyone know where to find a converter or how to fabricate one?

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:44 pm
quote : #5
So it's not just me, then. That's good and bad, I guess.

It's amazing that nobody seems to make such a thing. That makes me wonder if it's just because everyone likes the Dual Shock so much that there's very little demand, or if Sony did something to make it hard to design such an adapter. (Or I guess there could be some other reason...)

Who knows. I'm not giving up the search, but this is sad news.
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:24 pm
quote : #6
martianviking wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying... Did you find one at gamestop.com? I can't seem to find anything like that there.

no i didnt find one at Gamestop Crying or Very sad but what i was talkin about was this pack that they sell
that i came across when i was lookin for that converter, the pack included an ethernet cable and a mic and a keyboard and i thought it was pretty good deal for 39.99 .....

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:57 am
quote : #7
martianviking,

I looked on ebay for you and all I found was PS2 to DC convertors.
I don't know if the convertor that you are looking for exists or not.
This websites below has just about every DC accessory you can find,
so you might want to give it a look. Very Happy

http://www.gamestech.com/dreamcast/dreamcast.htm

http://www.mod-chips.net/product_category.asp?Cat=26