Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lanzarlaluna
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
So I've defeated six colossi in Shadow of the Colossus, and I must say, this game is fucking awesome. It's amazing that, with such a simple concept, developers can make a very epic game. They've managed to give the colossi a super HUGE appearance. They vary in size, but with each one it makes you feel like you are at the mercy of a powerful beast. Your character really feels tiny compared to them, which makes the battles all the more satisfying. =]

The art style is very much in the vein of ICO, which is a good thing. The weakest aspect of the game is probably the frame rate, but everything else is so good that I am willing to overlook it. It isn't so bad that it hurts the gameplay.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on the game so far. It's giving me many of the same fuzzy feelings that ICO gave me, and for that I am super happy. I'll let you know how things progress.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:30 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Awesome! I have yet to crack the plastic on my copy of the game. My brother has it, and started playing it I believe.

Does the game not have an in-game interface? or you can turn it off? I think that is what I remember reading, that its just you and the graphics on the screen with no HUD.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:02 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Does the game not have an in-game interface? or you can turn it off? I think that is what I remember reading, that its just you and the graphics on the screen with no HUD.

For the most part, it does not have a HUD, which is nice. When you are actually battling a colossus, there is a health bar for it and for you. Plus, if and when you manage to get on one, there is a grip meter. If the colossus starts flailing about willy nilly trying to shake you, you can hang on with R1, but you can't do it forever. So there is this circle in the corner of the screen that shrinks as your grip weakens. It's a very limited HUD and is not intrusive at all. Pretty much everywhere outside of battles the HUD disappears. As a result, the game feels more immersive.

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:17 am
quote : #4
I thought Shadow of the Colossus was equal parts awesome and bullshit.

Spoilers:

Quote:
I thought that the later Colossi having the ability to shoot lasers was pretty damn lame. I completely bought the notion that I was alone in this forbidden land with nothing more than stone and steel inhabiting it, and then a run into a Colossus that starts shooting lasers at me? WTF? And some of the fights are pretty cheap. The giant spider/turtle guy that can only be flipped when he's standing on top of a geyser was ridiculous, since he pretty much walked around every place other than they geysers, no matter what I did to lead him onto them.

And the second small colossus was pretty lame, since he would charge at me, knock me down, and then his second charge was timed right as I got up, so he would kill me. This was pretty infuriating for a while, since when I got the hint to climb the tower, I thought they meant the temple with the broken stairs.

And then the final colossus fight was awesome, except for the fact that it was more difficult just getting to him than it was defeating him, since he had the ability to shoot glowing yellow rockets at me.

The one fight I enjoyed the most was the flying sand guy, who had the white sacs on the bottom that you had to shoot with the bow to get him to lower his arms. It was probably the easiest, but soaring above the desert like that was awesome.

/Spoilers

One thing that really bothered me was the camera. Normally the camera faces forward during a fight, but if you hold L1 you'll automatically look toward the Colossus. But, if you're underwater, the camera tracks the colossus automatically, no matter what. This is retarded, since whenever you're underwater, you're generally swimming toward a platform, and it's impossible to see where you are going since the camera is tracking the colossus (who in once instance is flying above you).

The lack of a HUD is really nice. It only really shows up when you need it, like when you're underwater (breath gauge), or in a fight (health/stamina). Having the screen clean of any intrusions is awesome when you're running around just exploring the ridiculously huge world (made even better by 16:9 support). There are ruins and cliffs and beaches to explore, just for the sake of finding them. You don't ever find any hidden weapons or items or health packs or anything like that, which is a refreshing change of pace.

The only real upgrades you get in the game are your grip guage gets a little bigger each time you defeat a colossus, and there are lizards and fruit to find in the world. If you find a lizard with a white tail (they usually hang out at the save temples scattered across the world), kill it, and eat it's tail (press circle) your stamina grows a little, and if you eat a fruit (which can be found hanging in trees throughout the world), shoot it down, and eat it (also circle), your health guage grows a little.

Treey
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:40 am
quote : #5
While I skipped through the spoilers above, I must agree that this game is simply amazing. I havn't had time to devote much to it yet, however my first fight simply wowed me. An amazing concept, its great to see something new when clone after clone after clone seems to come out.

~treey

shrap
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:15 pm
quote : #6
i love the random topic of the days. sniff sniff one of the few games i ever played to completion and one of the greatest experiences ive ever had. beutifull, awesome sense of scale and accomplishment. i need to find my copy of this game something fierce.

Treey
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:29 pm
quote : #7
I just played through this game a second time. It made me long for the innovative games that used to come out month after month.

I think a playthroug of Ico is called for.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:13 am
quote : #8
An interesting side note: ICO on PS2 actually runs in 240p, which is what makes 2D games look so great on classic systems, but no so much for 3D. Though, at the very least, ICO would give off a sort of "PS1" type feel to its presentation as a result.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 am
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-J
i enjoyed ico quite a lot, shadow of colossus, not so much. some games i can not seem to get fond of and sometimes i dont know why.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 pm
quote : #10
Sotc is definitely in my top 5 or so favorite games. ICO is a must-play for me before I die Razz