Page 1 of 1
fattony
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:05 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I`m considering buying a PS2 to play on line games via dial-up? Are there any populated games that have dial-up access. I do have broadband but its for my trailer when i go places and it only has a phone jack
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 am
quote : #2
This is going to be really tricky.

Most of the dialup compatible games are now all offline. I would say your only viable option for actually playing a PS2 game online over dialup, would be Final Fantasy XI Online. Too many people still play it for Square to take the game offline anytime soon. You would need a fat PS2 and an official FFXI bundle (HD + Game + Serial). This would be subscription based though, and it would cost you a fee per month to play. I also have no idea how this game performs over dialup.

Your other option is to run dialup internet on your PC, and then use Internet Connection Sharing to route broadband only games over dialup. This will work fine for any PS2 online game as long as you play with low player counts. 2-4 players max.

You could take tribes online over dialup without ICS, and connect to OC's master list, but of course you would have to setup matches advance as the players online at any given time are going to be sparse. Most matches have to be scheduled or you have to hit up someone on jabber to play.

So there are options, you just have to try and find a sweet spot that works well for you and the technology.
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
I would say your only viable option for actually playing a PS2 game online over dialup, would be Final Fantasy XI Online. Too many people still play it for Square to take the game offline anytime soon. You would need a fat PS2 and an official FFXI bundle (HD + Game + Serial). This would be subscription based though, and it would cost you a fee per month to play. I also have no idea how this game performs over dialup.

The game itself plays fine over dial-up, but the biggest issue is downloading patches. The patches are too large and numerous to reasonably download them in a timely fashion using dial-up.
Posted:
Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:47 pm
quote : #4
Ah yea, very good point. I'd imagine that would take forever. Just the innitial patch process would take days.
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm
quote : #5
Well, you could just activate the account, and download all of the patches while on your broadband connection. That way, your PS2 will be ready to play online over dail-up, whenever you need to play with it in your trailer.