Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is a thread for talking about connecting your PS2 to any display, whether it is an SDTV, CRT Monitor, LCD Monitor, or HDTV.

Please read the site's guide for the Playstation 2 here before posting in this thread.

Also, for extended reading, check out: Video Games in an Era of High Definition

Rules for posting in this thread:
  • Keep it PS2 only please. Avoid bringing up other consoles (this pertains to the primary rule in our forum rules).

• Display lag note #1: Do not troll the thread with, "Well, I don't notice it, so..." If you don't notice the lag, then you are already satisfied with your setup. You can go back to playing games. Just because you don't seem to notice it in certain games doesn't mean it isn't there.

• Display lag note #2: HDTV's have lag even when a device is connected at its native resolution, and every display performs differently. Some TV's have very little lag, others have much more. My primary computer display has 16ms of lag no matter what, and my other display made by the same manufacturer has 34ms of lag.

• Display lag note #3: Only post about your TV/Monitor's performance if you are testing it accuratly. This involves splitting the video signal to the HD display and a zero lag display (SDTV or CRT Monitor), running a game that has a millisecond counter (like a racing game), standing back with your digital camera, taking 20-40 pictures, tabulating the difference in each picture and then averaging the results.
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28 pm
quote : #2
For anyone using component cable or is interested in purchasing a set, do yourself a favor and track down an official Sony component cable. Before I found the Sony brand cables at the pawn shop, I was using a generic set I purchased on Amazon for under $10. While they provided a jump over S-Video, I noticed slight banding in the upper portion of the image. Pairing the generic cables with a component switch exacerbated the issue greatly. I erroneously assumed my switch was the issue and lived with the banding.

I didn't expect any difference when I swapped the generic cable out with the official cable. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that not only was the banding gone, but the colors looked more vibrant. Unfortunately, the Sony component cable has held its value, with the cheapest cables hovering around the $20 range. If you find a cheap pair or don't mind splurging, pick them up. Pairing up a game outputting in 240p with the official PS2 component cable on an SDTV is breathtaking.
Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 am
quote : #3
Now you have peaked my interest. I have a variety of PS2 component cables. I am not sure any of them are "official". They typically came bundled with some 480p to VGA transcoders I got from Play-Asia.