lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Right now I am dealing with quite a bit of work in trying to integrate a SWBF game into OC's set of focused games. SWBF1 no longer has the ability to download the very critical patch that was released early on with that game. When SWBF1 first game out, it was very buggy, and the patch fixed many many issues with the game. You cannot play on the latest version of the SWBF1 dedicated server without the patch. This is obviously a problem.

So that means we will default to SWBF2, where no such patch Dependancy exists. This is actually not too bad because SWBF2 does have some of the maps (although slightly altered) from SWBF1. Critical Maps on Endor, Hoth, Tatooine, and Yavin 4 are in SWBF2.

Now that we know we are sticking with SWBF2, what is the next step? Well... while we can play the game online still, the network options are partially crippled. Eventually the gamespy master list could drop out and we would have to find a solution to playing the game online.

We will be using XBS Link for Armored Core Last Raven and Twisted Metal Black Online. We can also use it for SWBF2... but what about Dedicated Server support?

I have been doing some testing in the last few days, and PC Dedicated Servers running in "LAN" mode do not appear on XBS Link for the PS2 clients. This is something that we would eventually have to figure out, since the difference between a user hosted experience and a dedicated experience is pretty huge. I actually plan on creating a chart to see the overall difference between user hosted and dedicated in terms of feature sets. I will most likely put this up as a guide.

So as a quick re-cap:
  • Focus will be on Star Wars Battelfront 2
  • We will use the redirect fix to get back to the gamespy master list
  • Long term we need to figure out how to LAN tunnel PC dedicated servers

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am
quote : #2
While it is true that the patch for SWBF 1 is no longer available for download, anyone that has the patch can still play provided there is a server on the list with a direct connection. Would you consider restarting your SWBF 1 server?

gsx25
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon:

Would you consider restarting your Star Wars Battlefront 1 server?

wiregrind
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:37 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
well I've played intermittently swbf on ps2 for the last years and I think it's a good game to preserve.
it lags a bit sometimes since I live so far away but I just suck it up