Page Location: Home > Classic Playstation > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, with PC's evolving and many old DOS games requiring DOSBox to run on Windows with varrying levels of performance; it is interesting that some of the PS1 ports of these games become go to versions for playing some of these classic games. So I figured it might be fun to list them and talking about their compatibility.

Games that I know of so far are:

Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Baldur's Gate
Dark Forces
Descent Maximum
Diablo
Doom (Final Doom)
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown
Quake 2
Populous: The Beginning
SimCity 2000
Syndicate Wars
Wing Commander III
Wing Commander IV

If you know of any more, feel free to add to the list. Also post your impressions on accuracy/performance compared to the PC originals.

As I was building this list, I was really surprised. This is a great list of games so far.
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:02 pm
quote : #2
A lot of those games have sourceports for the PC, which alleviate the problems involved in getting games from the mid to late 90s to work on modern PCs. Baldur's Gate has the Enhanced Edition, the Dooms have G/ZDoom/Chocollate Doom, etc, Quake II has KMQuake II, etc.

I tried to fire up Diablo on the PC a couple of weeks ago, but ran into some graphical issues. So basically my options are to either troubleshoot the problem and see if I can get it running on my PC, or just fire up the PS1 copy and jump right into a game.

Quake II is an interesting port to me, because back during that era of console gaming everyone was positive that "The PS1 couldn't do Quake", but then Lobotomy ported Quake to the Saturn, and Hammerhead ported Quake II to the PS1. It's a pretty heavily cut version of the game content-wise (levels, enemies, etc), but it's still pretty amazing. It has four player quadscreen multiplayer with a rock solid framerate, which is very impressive.

Some other PC to PS1 ports that were initially DOS games that I can think of are X-Com: UFO Defense, Warcraft 2, Hexen, Civilization 2, Myst/Riven, and Mechwarrior 2.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:43 pm
quote : #3
One of my next task's is to give Quake II a proper play through on PS1. I have a PS1 mouse, so that should be fun. I still cannot believe Q2 is such an incredible Deathmatch game performance wise with 4 players.

Also... I heard Hexen on PS1 is pretty bad?