Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
sweetstocking
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
is this site right about it or wikipedia ?

cause if you look at this page of wikipedia they punch our sites list in the face Crying or Very sad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_online_games

i dont know who to believe

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey sweetstocking, you came to the right place. Welcome to the site btw Wink

Ignore wikipedia, it has never been accurate.

OC's online game list has always been the most complete and accurate. However a few years back I had to take a break from maintaining the list. It was a grueling process checking games to make they were still playable, and looking up accurate termination dates. The list of termination dates at OC is the most accurate on the web. All of them were from verified sources. Either from news posts, companies, message boards, or from first hand user accounts.

I need to do some catchup work on OC's list to verify which games are still playable, but almost all of them are certainly offline now. All ubisoft and gamespy games are offline.

Tribes Aerial Assault is still online, and is THE game to play for PS2 online. Not only is it a port of a classic golden age PC first person shooter, but its properly online without LAN tunneling required.

Warhammer 40k: Firewarrior should be playable over its direct-ip capabilities which it can utilize even though gamespy is shutdown. (though this game still has to go through DNAS).

Beyond this there is a spotty patch of games where users have resurrected some services. However the software has not been released publically, which means they are temporarily online, and subject to termination again if the users running the servers can't keep them running. I have to still venture out and explore these games to verify what works and what doesn't. I have been reluctant to because its tough investing the time in a game online when it could go offline, again.

On the bright side, the PS2 has a lot of LAN games which can be tunneled online using software like xlink or xbslink:
http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist_link.php

There is a lot of infastructural work going on here to ramp up services across the board.

If you want to play some Tribes with us, let us know Wink We have been having regular scheduled sessions and its been great.