Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
northern007
rank 1
Posted:
Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
The AADS server files I have are from 2004. Do I just launch the server and that's it? Or is there anything else I need to do? Thank you.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu May 21, 2015 11:15 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Modern versions of Windows, even later Service Pack's of XP do not run AADS properly. There is extreme lag that cripples the game. Also we have not done enough testing with AADS itself to ensure that it lists properly in the master list. When I ran AADS on Windows Server 2003 a few years back, it was unplayable.

There is still a need to have the server available so that users can get advanced control configs for TAA. So its something we need to address. I just have not had time yet to actually step through all of the versions of XP to find out where the compatibility issue lies.

Basically AADS needs to be tested across XP SP1, SP2, SP3, Win7, and Win8.1 to see if it can be run without issues.
rank 1
Posted:
Fri May 22, 2015 12:36 pm
quote : #3
So it sounds like hypothetically the best thing to do would be to install something like Windows 98 on a partitioned hard drive and run it on there? I also believe I read something about having to edit the AADS .exe to point to the new master list server. Do you happen to know how that would be done? Thanks again.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 pm
quote : #4
The last aads;s used had bugs in them and they, the room, crashed in under five minutes. You would need one of the old programs to do a good aads. Back in the day there were certain symbols by the rooms. There was an arrow, a star like symbol, a phone, hehehe, and nothing. They had updated programs, or patches so people couldn't cheat like using the repair pack to be almost unbeatable . They even put a patch in that made it that if your side had four or less players, everything, and i mean everything would repair its self. I believe once the new ones came out people just erased the old ones. I know of one person who saved his old aads program and it works, but with lag and his speed and ping are very good, but at least you can talk. He won't host much but he will give up the program. I just have to get hold of him again. Are you really interested in becoming a aads? If so, i will try and track him down again. You would still have to use Oc's dns so that people can find you and if you give me a day and time, i'll do some test runs with you.

Then again if not, come join us when i host Wink .

northern007
rank 1
Posted:
Fri May 22, 2015 7:28 pm
quote : #5
I'm looking into setting one up, just trying to establish everything that would be required. I have a copy of AADS that is dated as created "April 22, 2004" so maybe that's an old version you're referring to? I could upload it if that's something you guys would like to get your hands on.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Fri May 22, 2015 8:53 pm
quote : #6
I would just like to know when you would like to host. I'm always up for someone being a aads. Tell me a day when you plan on doing it and i'll track down some players or just let it run and i'll check it out.

Kansas1327
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am
quote : #7
I would be interested in viewing the .exe file of AADS if anyone has a copy they could upload Very Happy