Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The current owners of the Tribes IP, Hi-Rez Studios, have released Tribes Aerial Assault as freeware. If for some reason you still don't own a copy, grab the ISO file at http://www.tribesuniverse.com/.
Posted:
Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:15 pm
quote : #2
I do not believe any console game for a modern disc based system has been released as freeware. This is awesome, and puts us in a really interesting spot with TribesAA.

• The game does not use DNAS
  • We have a rebuilt, open source, TAA Master List
  • now... we have the .iso for the community as Freeware

From the perspective of historical preservation, this is a huge milestone. Not only for PS2 online for online console gaming in general.
rank 34
Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:57 am
quote : #3
I don't think Hi-Rez has anything to do with TAA, unless they bought the rights, but i don't care.

This change of accessing TAA for free might blow this game out of the water... again.

Even if people are bored or curious to try this game out once or twice will shoot up the number of players big time.

The thing is is that if they choose to check it out online and they don't know when games are scheduled and find no one online.

They might not be interested in checking it out online again. Plus they need the correct dns number to even join.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:46 pm
quote : #4
Regardless of the platform or game, when it all comes down to it players want to be "served", hence "services". A populated masterlist with tons of hosted games and hundreds of players is something that they expect to just be there for them on a silver platter. The existance of the ISO is not going to generate a massive increase to the player count on TAA. We might get a few more people, but the reality is it takes work to play these great games online long after people have wandered away.

The Tribes 2 community on PC is not heavily populated. It is easy for people to play Tribes 2, easier than TAA. People do play, more than TAA, but its not swarming with 500 players and that game has been freely available on the PC for years, as it was released as a promo download to market Vengeance.

Also, the availability of the ISO is no different than me ripping my TAA disc and putting it up for download.

The key difference here is that the ISO is legally available for download which is something that has never happened before. It adds to an already unique history for a game released on a disc based video game console: Dedicated Server, Controller Config Mod, Master List, Freeware ISO. In an era of closed systems and strong DRM, games like TAA and Quake 3 on Dreamcast are incredibly unique with regards to the level of freedom they provide to the player.
rank 34
Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:06 pm
quote : #5
I would like to know how long they had TAA for free. I'm sure its recent because I'm starting to hear it from other places.

I would also like to know how to let people know what dns to use because they might not know that they even need to use a specific dns to join online sessions.

Who is the first person to try this out or who will be the first to make this work and let others know?

I would just like to know how well does it work and with no memory card, how do you save the dns in order to connect?

Deez
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:49 am
quote : #6
Type: VA
Can someone help me out here & explain what you could or would do with the file once you download it. Copy it to disk & then play it on ps2?

What are the options out there if you don't have a ps2, if any? Would this allow them to access the same master list ?

P.S. I have a ps2 & original working T:AA disk, I'm just trying to gather information to help others play.
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:12 am
quote : #7
You could play it though an emulator on the PC. Since it's now freeware, my friend knows how to rig it so you can play it with a burned CD of tribes and a hacked memory card of sorts. May not even need the CD if done another way.

In essence it allows players to play tribes in methods other than having an authentic tribes disc.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:14 am
quote : #8
Yes, but can they join me through there pc when I'm hosing on a ps2?

Nebular
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 am
quote : #9
You know, I don't see why not. I have a friend with a hot version of tribesaa. I'll send him the IP and let's have ourselves an experiment.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:31 am
quote : #10
How soon or what time today?

I'm always down for helping out and testing out experiments so others don't have to waste their time.

Can we do this around 3pm cst or so? I was just about to leave.