Page 1 of 1
Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I noticed some fighting games on the PlayStation 2 have this logo indicating they have online. Got no understanding of Japanese so when I tried connecting I had no idea if it was telling me that the servers were offline or that I was doing something wrong. Does anybody have any information on this? I'm assuming the servers are long gone but the idea of the novelty is killing me and would like to know for sure.
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 am
quote : #2
Hey Kannibal Wink

It is not possible to play them online anymore. Most of these games were taken offline on 09/20/2010. They were part of KDDI Multi Matching BB service.

I did actually manage to subscribe to the service from the states back when it was online, and I have video footage of me playing against another player in King of Fighters XI. More often than not, you would get terrible lag for the fighting games. However 1 night, I got really lucky and managed to play a few rounds at rather good speeds and captured it on video.
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 pm
quote : #3
Howdy LordNikon,

I would have definitely expected lag since Japan was the demographic for this service. Was the subscription paid or just a matter of filling out a form or two?
Would you mind sharing these videos? definitely wanna see this.
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:03 pm
quote : #4
I will eventually have the videos available somewhere. My archives are enormous, and there is a logistics problem that has to get sorted out in terms of where and how I propogate all of this stuff online. I have Terabytes of data across all my archives. I wish I could just upload them somewhere right now, but there is nowhere for me to put it right this second.

I wish I had recorded more video footage at the time. For instance with FFXI I recorded a LOT of video this past spring, but many years ago when I was subscribed to MultimatchingBB, my Hard Drive storage situation was far different than it is now. I didn't have a lot of money, and only had a few external drives to store stuff. So I would record shorter videos of about 10 mins at length so they fit under 700MB each. I think I have about 11 videos of KOFXI.

Now I have about 24TB of usable storage... mirrored 2 additional times (totalling 72TB worth of drives). So.. yea... logistics Laughing

The subscription was paid, and there were some tricks you had to do to actually sign up as someone who did not live in Japan. It was a service so if you subscribed you gained access to all of the games that used that service.

The interesting thing is that the fighting games specifically were really only coded to work well within regional Japan, specifically the Tokyo prefectures. Other titles on the Multi-matching BB service ran fine from abroad, like the Monster Hunter series.
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:02 pm
quote : #5
Have you considered a video streaming service for any videos you'd like to share in particular in the meantime? YouTube seems to be the most straight forward one.

Surprised nobody has publicly attempted to make a custom master server of sorts for these games like what was done for Resident Evil Outbreak. Speaking of which, I might open a thread up for Outbreak multiplayer if you and anybody else is interested since I'm finding myself with a ton of free time this time of year.
Posted:
Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:22 pm
quote : #6
I have too much data, and managing it is not as simple as chucking some files up on youtube. I have larger plans for much of the data that I have. I have not decided yet how or when all of it will be distributed online. As I said it is a logistics problem.

I don't play on servers unless the server binaries are publically available, and for Outbreak, they are not.
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:56 pm
quote : #7
Ah ok would that mean dedicated servers? Understandable.