Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have some time off work coming up, and with all of the work I have been doing on my various gaming PC environments, I have the workstations needed to do extensive testing with TribesAA and emulation. Its no secret that it is possible to network emulated PS2 games as this was done a long time ago with Monster Hunter. Its just something that we havn't spent enough time with. I have seen videos on youtube of people emulating TMBO to get it into 1080p and getting it online.

Onlineconsoles is planning on embracing emulation to extend its userbase. Real hardware will still be for the purists, or those curious to feel what its like to let the emotion engine in a real PS2 process their frags, but to keep the online gaming experience alive, I am looking into various ways to network emulators for the consoles that OC covers.

I am looking forward to having some downtime to focus on this research in the coming 2 weeks.

What I really want to try and do, is run an instance of TAA with bots, and disable 3D rendering in the emulator. Thus having a bot populated dedicated server, running in an emulator.
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:50 pm
quote : #2
Really dig that idea. If there was a persistent server it would be much more of an incentive for small groups to begin playing.

Crazy to even think that developers have gotten the emulators to work online with the actual code. Stellar performance guys.

oldschoolcool
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:10 pm
quote : #3
Just found this website after a long long time of not playing. I'm curious, have you guys worked out a way to play online with other people through an emulator? I have PCSX2. Or do you still need a ps2 to play online against people? Would be great to start playing games again if other people are still active.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 pm
quote : #4
I moved my vacation to this upcoming week, so I am off all this next week 19th-23rd.

I am hoping to look into TAA and Emulation this week.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:54 am
quote : #5
I appreciate the time you spent looking into this matter. I, personally would love to be able to play TAA online with an emulator as I have moved to another country and I currently don't have the money for anything which would require me to buy a television, PS2, Tribes:AA and a memory card.

I have played Tribes: AA on an emulator with a mouse and keyboard..it was a little tricky getting use to and I am sure it would work better with hooking up a controler, but still being able to play this way on my laptop would for me, be an amazing experience.. and I would be able to join up when others are playing.

If you will need any basic testing, feel free to get a hold of me -- I am no genius but if there is testing to be done on the emulator side, I could try and help out -- Keep up the good work lordnikon!

bobz1993
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:46 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U
Let me know if you have any luck with this. Being how small of a game Tribes really is, it runs flawlessly on my PC. I figure with that, I may even be able to run it w/o graphics or something on my server as a solid dedi. I've been running some old version of AADS for a long time.

From my PC I connect and see other games fine, but can't seem to post a hosted game to the master list... Ports are forwarded to the ip of the "ps2".

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:30 pm
quote : #7
Hey bobz, thanks for doing some initial work with this and sharing your findings.

Yea thats the plan with this idea. So we can run pseudo dedicated servers with bots Wink

Is 192.168.0.150 on the router? or the internal windows DHCP for ICS?

Also you stated you can connect to see other games in the master list, but were you also able to successfully connect to a server?

CurrPorts is a handy tool to help troubleshoot port mappings: http://nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:14 pm
quote : #8
192.168.0.150 is the internal ip of my router. I set all ips manually to avoid confusion.

My DNS is successfully pointing the emulator to the server from my desktop, but it then doesn't show up on my master list server. The only game I joined was my AADS. That could be considered a LAN game and might not have actually been viewed as a Internet game. When i get home in an hour, I'll pop the OC dns in and see what I can see. I don't assume anyone will necessarily be playing in an hour, but at the minimum, I'll see the "master list" room. If you're around and could put a game, ps2, aads, or otherwise, I could really test it.

EDIT:
Tested both by changing my DNS servers records to match those of the OC DNS and then simply using the OC DNS.
Activity still showed in my DNS log under the first test. If you're able to check, I attempted hosting a game on OC, though I didn't see the "master list" listing.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:17 pm
quote : #9
I checked the master list log and I don't see any new hosted game listings there. Though I did see a few DNS queries on my DNS server setup.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:06 am
quote : #10
Any of them 67.249.158.107?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 am
quote : #11
I saw no servers with that IP in the master list. As for the DNS queries, the way I have the scripts and infrastructure setup in linux the queries listed don't show the incoming IP address. They all render as local host. I would have to take some time to look at the GO script to see if its possible to list the incoming IP's. The tricky part is that to keep it secure and not have the script running as root its listening in on local ports. So it might not even be possible for me to dump out the IP's for query requests.

As of now the logs in the terminal will show the domain requested and what it was resolved to, and the timestamp.