Topic: ps2onlinegaming.com

Page 1 of 1
Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:52 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey, i would like to talk about tribes and keep respect to this forum, but i would like to know what's going on with the ps2onlinegaming forum. Can anyone else get into that forum, at this current time?

I know there's not an open chat here, it's just that i would like to know so i can talk more about tribes... hehehe.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:04 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
When was it last up? If it has been down for a few days, the admins are probobly working on it. If its been down for a month, then maybe something to worry about.

Who actually runs the board now? I know lazybum started it originally.
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:21 am
quote : #3
It is already down for a month. In October it was down for two weeks and then got back live, maybe we need to wait more.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:40 pm
quote : #4
Its been down a good week and Viscosity has taken it over aka FavreNation. I just checked now and its back to normal.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm
quote : #5
It's been way more than a week and this forum is still down and i tried pming him too.

Kansas1327
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:51 am
quote : #6
that website is always offline Laughing

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am
quote : #7
Well I hope that board comes back, as I never wish sites to die and fade from memory.

ps2onlinegaming.com originally started out of me making changes to OC, some friction between myself and some other community members, and the evolving landscape of PS2 online in general. I wanted to narrow OC PS2's focus to a smaller set of games, and some members still wanted to play everything from Family Feud to Killzone. I am not here to judge which pathway was the best, but I was trying to steer OC in a certain direction and some users didn't agree. I think things unecessarily reached a boiling point at the time that could have been avoided, but stuff happens. *shrugs*

Since then ps2onlinegaming boards have changes hands between a few admins. First lazybum/lazyhoboguy, then another user, and then Favrenation.

It is easy to start a message board, but after 6 months or so, things like security patches, maintaining stability, adding feature updates, FORUM MODERATION, managing a growing community, running servers, and paying for it all becomes a daunting task. Pretty soon, its as if you are running a small company, serving as developer, designer, community manager, system administrator, and.. if there is any time left, participating user.

Boards/Sites die for a few hallmark reasons:

• Losing the forum database in some sort of catastrophe (hacked, corruption, etc)
  • A domain name expiring
  • Personal life pressures
  • The stress of Administrating a social community
  • Lack of activity fueling a lack of motivation to keep it all going

I hope ps2onlinegaming comes back, but I also totally understand why it may never come back. Mostly due to personal experience trying to keep OC going for all these years, and my involvement with archiving websites. I have seen my fair share of "R.I.P." exit posts by administrators and site owners, and have many archived. They are solemn reminders of the fleeting nature of the internet and life itself. Nothing lasts forever.
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 am
quote : #8
The site is coming back up. Lazy currently own the domain while I take care of all the hosting and administrative tasks. He's having trouble getting it to point to new hosting providers DNS authority. I should be taking over the domain soon as well. This whole thing started because I was self hosting before and wanted to put it on my companies Cpanel server. I apologize for the ridiculous down time. It's times like these that make it nice to have multiple forums.

EDIT: Most of the people who have started the site have since gone or aren't nearly as active (including myself). When I started the site I was a 16 year old highschool student who just got his driver's license. I just recently graduated from a 4 year university and started working full time. I still have time to play games occasionally however and I will continue to host the site for as long as I physically can. I may not be able to moderate the site nearly as well but as long as there are active members willing to contribute, the community will remain active just like it does here with considerably less posts from Nikon.
Posted:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:20 am
quote : #9
This forum is back up and running after a bit of a long time so check it out to talk about any ps2 online games, i prefer if you talk about tribes though. I have brought other tribe players from there to here before.