DaMan
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:10 pm
quote : #241
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Si ,Senor Tweetybird.
Sorry I left before the end of the match, but the thunderstorm in my area was getting pretty bad, within 10 minutes of me leaving the power went out.
it did come back but who wants to risk damaged hardware?
the other participants
koss and fLiP
Even though I said i'd be late, I got there 2 mins after the time and after about 5 mins of hitting refresh I hosted a game called 'Holdin Da Fort' and figured if anyone saw me they'd let me know the other room started up.
zyclonbaby
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm
quote : #242
im sorry i wasnt in attendance today. I just got back from camping. It's the first time i have been able to get out of the house since i dislocated my shoulder. Hope you all had fun as well

fLiP
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm
quote : #243
Type: ???
I really do think we should start to consider not playing with bots. They are so annoyingly placed most of the time and wind up just being filler for the map. You can count on them being an easy kill and they are basically useless as far as actual game strategy goes. They certainly aren't racking up insane amounts of kills or points. That alone should tell you something....

The fun in this game, for me, comes with playing against other people. No computer will ever compare to playing against a live human being. Whether it be killing or getting killed, you can guarantee an added level of experience. Killing a bot over and over, or being in the process of killing a bot only to get surprised by one of you and getting killed, is extremely repetitive and annoying.

I didn't play for very long on Sunday because I was getting annoyed. Plain and simple. It started with you, Snafu, concussion 'nading me when I was turtling the flag on top of the hill on Paranoia so you could cap the flag. We were ahead.... There was no reason for us to score.... I was trying to get them to chase me around a little. Because, well, that was one of the things I enjoyed most about this game - flag running. That does give me an idea, however! When the map got changed to Sundried TDM from Oasis I just lost the urge to play. Going back to my disdain of playing against bots, the map is wayyyy too large for four players.

Now for the idea! What if we started a position clinic where we would play specific positions for each game type? You would be assigned to a spot much like we used to strategize for clan matches back in the day. What do you guys think?

Again, can we please stop playing with bots? At least try it for a few weekends and see what everyone thinks?
Posted:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 pm
quote : #244
Well how should i start this out?

First bots are suppose to be fillers and are needed when there's only two on two. DaMan was on my team on Oasis and he had only 1 point in the first five minutes of play. Humans should always have more points than bots and if not then people need practice offline or i'll always have bots. If it wasn't for the bots on Oasis, i would of got my ass kicked more and same with ctf. If it wasn't for the bots taking the flag when i was doing other stuff then the game would of been harder to play. Bots can be reliable, but its at random times when this happens and when bots are getting more points than your other human team mate then they are very much needed.

Getting killed by bots or killing them is repetitive? Tribes is a very repetitive game. Get the flag hang the flag or kill or be killed.

If you enjoy flag running then hang it. Don't be a dick by saying " hey come and try to kill me because i have the flag " . It is a very dick move that was played a lot back in the day. By doing that you are pausing the game of play. If you want to kill then go kill. There is no reason to do it with the flag if the flag is back at base. Just don't ever touch the flag if you don't intend to hang as fast as possible or go ahead and chase down the other flag carrier. Flag carrier vs flag carrier fights are the best.

Now strategize positions for people to play... No. I love the freedom of tribes to do what you want when you want like the way you wouldn't hang the flag and paused the game so i pushed the game forward by taking the flag from you and if not, i would of made you switch teams for holding up the game. You're not the only one that can be a dick.

I use to put everyone on the same team and just work the bots so people could get the feel of the game more, but that's going against bots still. The only game to play with no bots and a low turn out is either dm or hunters only. I mean fLip, if you and i were on the same team, i could see going against three or maybe four humans and no bots, but i don't think koss would like that much.

So fLip, lets say there's only 3 maybe 4 players only for Sunday's game. What game mode would you suggest to play?

zyclonbaby
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:43 pm
quote : #245
i like bots. It keeps me humble.

Also, this game is dealing with a very small and assuming to be a tightly knit community of players. we just dont have the luxury of inviting 8 people and having a quality match. Man, I remember the hours and hours of CTF that I played.

Super groovy that this is still alive and strong, despite its small dedicated player base.

fLiP
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:07 pm
quote : #246
That's my point. You don't need fillers. Even with just two people. I've had countless amounts of 1v1 duels in every game type in the past and had a blast. Again, the bots are just an easy avenue to rack up kills and points. The key is that you only play smaller maps when there aren't that many people. Larger maps are okay when the people playing know the map VERY well. I do not think this is possible at the time (unless it were to be say just me and Snafu playing). What made this game so great is that it was among the first to allow us to play against EACH OTHER across large distances.

Yes you are right tribes is a bit repetitive overall. What keeps it fresh is the autonomy of other people playing the game. That is not repetitive. That is a challenge. That is what brought me back day after day wasting way too many hours of my life.

Flag running isn't just about capping the flag all of the time. The thrill you get when someone is chasing you, especially when both teams possess the flag, is almost incomparable. Add to that the challenge it is to kill someone who knows how to run the flag; knowing maps and their ski paths, maximizing every jump to its fullest potential and returning fire while continuing along those ski paths flawlessly became an art form in this game. There are so many people that played T:AA that were simply unbelievable. How can you not want to attempt to recreate the experience of flag running, or any other position that was played?

I was trying to say that we could just play certain positions on maps so it would be more competitive when less people are playing. This would hold true especially if we can stop playing with bots and would ensure that you are always going head-to-head with whoever is on the other team.

Screw bots. Period. They suck and take away from the game! Mad

I would recommend playing every game mode if we can do it without bots! Shocked
Posted:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm
quote : #247
Play every or any game mode as long as there's no bots?

fLip, would you allow one bot if it was one on two players or if there was a odd amount of players of ctf or cnh?

I would like to see fLip answer that, but i do do requests so when fLip shows up, i will kill off all bots unless he says i can add one to make a even number of players.

I will host a couple of games to fLip's requests, if he shows up, and then after a couple of games i might add bots.

So i will start with bots until fLips joins.

I am going to do a theme, for anyone interested that is, and the theme is is that your character has to be from a cartoon, animation, and of course your character has to have the ability to fly.

fLiP
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:15 pm
quote : #248
Even if there is an odd amount of people, bots shouldn't be used.

You can balance the teams pretty easily where the teams are odd. Then you should stack the team that is down a man with better players.

I should be there tonight. Lets have some bot-less fun!!!
Posted:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:21 pm
quote : #249
I had fun. Sucked when we got to the hunters part. Was this game the most amount of players that you guys have ever had?

Cirrus
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 pm
quote : #250
Pretty much. That was a blast today. Thanks to everyone for showing up and to the person who mongoose satchel charged me when I had the flag....god dammit. Laughing

fLiP
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm
quote : #251
Those were some of the most fun, competitive and close games I have had since coming back.

Great games last night! Cool
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm
quote : #252
Definitely the most fun I've had in a long time... actually I think I'd agree with flip and say its the most fun since I returned to TAA and its probably just a matter of having more people show up and not needing bots. Really makes you wonder what an 8v8 would feel like. Good games all around yesterday. I hope we can keep our numbers up for next week.

koss
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm
quote : #253
Also, what names was everyone using?

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm
quote : #254
Unfortunately you can't host a 16 person room through a ps2, but damn... 7 players altogether at once and everyone knowing the basics of how to play

oh... and ah... yeah...

by the way...

i recorded all of Sunday's game so when we got done, after a couple of hours and a couple more beers, i was hankering for some tribes so i watched the full Sunday's session and it was great.

I do not have a you tube account and i don't know how to put a one hour and thirty minute dvd up to show. I could make a dvd copy and give it to someone who can do it, if anyone knows anyone that will do it fast that is.

Last edited by Snafu Organizer on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

zyclonbaby
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm
quote : #255
lol I can't wait to see the results from the video. I changed my name a couple times to "ImBadAtThis" or something along the lines of that. Started out as a character from the Disney movie "planes".

Good job everyone that showed up. T'was good fun!