Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:55 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am finally in my new living space (proper) and with that I have been setting up the lab for testing and research.

I successfully networked TAA in PCSX2. It connected and saw the dummy ML entry in the OC master list. I was able to boot up a second PS2 on the local network, host from real hardware, and have the emulator join the server. Aside from a few slight issues like some slight input lag (my controller adapter most likely), and some texture pop-in rendering issues, overall it works great. TAA is definatly playable online via PCSX2.

This has two positives for the TAA community:

1) It will let more people play online who aren't as committed to running TAA on real hardware.
2) It "should" let us host emulation driven matches as dedicated servers, with bots (albeit one team with would -1 player with a "host" player idling.

It would mean the best of both worlds: Bots to shoot at, and it would put all client players on the same latency playing field as far as ping is concerned. We wouldn't have to be mindful of who we chain or blaster.
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 am
quote : #2
Good job, do you plan on making a how-to guide?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:19 am
quote : #3
Yes I do plan on making a complete guide. Smile
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:00 pm
quote : #4
Hell yeah dude, awesome. I will not get my hopes up too soon about this bringing a few more players in to the fold, but it would be awesome if that happened.

fLiP
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:19 pm
quote : #5
Type: ???
this is so awesome. player count should most definitely go up in affect.
Posted:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:43 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
I am finally in my new living space (proper) and with that I have been setting up the lab for testing and research.

I successfully networked TAA in PCSX2. It connected and saw the dummy ML entry in the OC master list. I was able to boot up a second PS2 on the local network, host from real hardware, and have the emulator join the server. Aside from a few slight issues like some slight input lag (my controller adapter most likely), and some texture pop-in rendering issues, overall it works great. TAA is definatly playable online via PCSX2.

This has two positives for the TAA community:

1) It will let more people play online who aren't as committed to running TAA on real hardware.
2) It "should" let us host emulation driven matches as dedicated servers, with bots (albeit one team with would -1 player with a "host" player idling.

It would mean the best of both worlds: Bots to shoot at, and it would put all client players on the same latency playing field as far as ping is concerned. We wouldn't have to be mindful of who we chain or blaster.

I didn't see this topic when I first posted about it in mine. This is cool.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:20 pm
quote : #7
I spent all day yesterday working with 3D acceleration in virtualization software. VirtualBox 6.0 now has 2 additional 3D VGA graphics modes, which yields a bit better performance than the legacy VboxVGA adapter. I have this running in Manjaro Linux, and the results were quite pleasant for what I was trying to accomplish.

UT99 ran at 800x600 in the 30fps+ range, with minimal input latency, to the point where it wasn't disrupting my gameplay experience. Classic PC game testing is 100% viable under such an environment.

Where this applies to TribesAA, is running a test for the CPU overhead required to run a VM + PCSX2 + TAA in networking mode, with the promise of a bot populated PS2 hosted "dedicated" server. Obviously, a host player would be laying on the floor dead for the duration of every match (I cannot remember if players auto-respawn).

Anyways, getting 3D acceleration to actually work in a VM was the first step. So I just wanted gives everyone a heads up on some progress.
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:42 pm
quote : #8
Just a thought, instead of using VMbox look at Unraid. It can pass physical hardware to its VM's and adds a lot of functionality to a VM that you don't get easily elsewhere.

If I remember right Unraid is free for up to 2 hard drives

https://unraid.net/