Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
Deez
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:38 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: VA
Is it possible to host an AADS server without lag & packet loss anymore ? Asking for a friend
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:58 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
My current theory is that an update somewhere between Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 3 of Windows XP caused AADS to have packet loss problems (which extended to future editions of windows). I have a Windows XP disc pre SP1, so I can step upward through versions to isolate when AADS broke. This has to be tested and verified. At the moment I don't have the local or remote virtualization infrastructure available to rapidly test this.
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:08 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
A bit of an update here. In the spring, I put a testing machine together which is serving many needs pertaining to console gaming. One of which, is figuring out the problems with AADS.

I first ran into issues with AADS on Windows Server 2003 many years ago. I remember getting rather irate with Server Beach over the matter, and canceled my server with them unaware it was a problem between AADS / Windows, rather than there network lol.

So now that I have this machine, I can test out AADS in:

Windows XP (no service pack)
Windows XP SP1
Windows XP SP3

I can't remember if I can also test SP2 or not.

This will reveal where the latency problems are cropping up for AADS.

I will also try to test in Win 7 32bit and 64bit as well.

When this work is complete we will have two outcomes:

1.) We will know when AADS windows compatibility broke
2.) We will have an AADS server in the master list, available so people can apply CHAT-TEST to new saves to take advantage of the additional custom control schemes. Users can't obtain these control schemes without connecting to an AADS server.

PS. The new test/research rig I built actually took 2 months to build, due to parts some older parts failing, research time required to learn about LGA775 motherboard features, cooling issues on an extreme series chip I had, and a defective PC case....*whew*. Its working great now though Smile