Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
Azrial
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Instructions on how to get back on taa are on the discord along with a bunch of old players. https://discord.gg/Tribesaa

Azrial
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 pm
quote : #2
https://discord.gg/9bCyy3bvdE Should be a working discord link. Files to set it up are there. Also we have graphic upgrades thanks to white dragon. We are playing weekly. Please come join us. I miss you all. That and smack talking everyone. :p

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:53 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I finally was able to setup the testing environment needed to fully confirm stuff going on with TAAML, AADS, etc.

So, as best as I can tell, AADS lists in TAAML just fine, and has been usable all a this time. A certain set of circumstances led to people feeling there was a problem:

1.) In my testing, AADS ran from Win 7 resulted in servers being listed in TAAML with ports 28000, incrementing upwards for each subsequent server run on that machine. This is how its supposed to work. I had no trouble at all listing AADS in TAAML, and connecting. However if AADS is ran from Win XP SP3, AADS is listed in TAAML with odd ports, such as something like 10151, and gameplay was not... entirely... great. Things just seemed off.
2.) DCTM wrote TAAML in 2010, and during that time was using an older computer far later than I should have. I was using a Win XP based Pentium 4 (at least it had Hyperthreading, so I had 2 threads), up until December of 2012. This would have led me to believe AADS had issues listing in TAAML.
3.) We always ran PS2 hosted servers for bots so that the games felt "full" with lots of targets, so AADS was a lower priority. As such these issues were not fully vetted out over the years.
4.) I am not entirely sure why users were unable to get their AADS servers listed in the Master List, as my testing proves it works just fine. Users possibly were not opening the proper ports.

Hosting AADS, getting it to list in TAAML, and connecting, works just fine.

How well AADS works itself is another issue. I was running into some problems with my ammo registering accuratly when hosting. Basically I would exhaust all of my ammo, and 2 rounds would remain and it would make an odd noise. Going to suit up at a station refills all the ammo again, but this doesn't register until you fire a shot. This isn't how it worked on AADS in the past did it?

Side note: The testing environment that I had stated in the past was needed, was rather involved. I needed to setup multiple routers, at least 1 PS2, at least 1 PC that can run PCSX2 emulation instance that can connect online, A Win 7 virtual machine, both bare metal Win XP and Win 7 PC's, along with multiple routers. I basically needed to be able to test out every scenario, and simulate TWO players across the internet trying to play with each other, on isolated networks, along with AADS and TAAML thrown in the mix. Now that I have all this setup, I can properly test stuff out.

Currently OC's DNS server is down, due to the IP being reclaimed by my server host. They switched to a paid plan for previously free IPv4 addresses. I missed the invoice and the IP's were reclaimed. I have to resolve this. Once I have this fixed it would be great if I could get some of you all to do some testing on TAAML with an AADS server listed. A discord server with a AADS server stabbed into emulation instances is kinda janky (which is what you all have been doing at the moment for matches). A proper TAAML with many AADS servers listed, and the potential for PS2 hosted servers is where we want to be.
rank 59
Posted:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:20 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Given the lapse of time and lack of response, I am now under the assumption the old Clan community from TribesAA.net, has what they need, and no further assistance is needed.

I will still be working to provide TribesAA network services for the general public beyond the older clan community.
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:18 am
quote : #5
Sorry hadn't been back to visit. Been busy with discord server and my house burned down. So I finally rebuilt. So moving etc. I will try to test this out. To confirm.

Deez
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:26 pm
quote : #6
Type: VA
lordnikon wrote:
I finally was able to setup the testing environment needed to fully confirm stuff going on with TAAML, AADS, etc.

So, as best as I can tell, AADS lists in TAAML just fine, and has been usable all a this time. A certain set of circumstances led to people feeling there was a problem:

1.) In my testing, AADS ran from Win 7 resulted in servers being listed in TAAML with ports 28000, incrementing upwards for each subsequent server run on that machine. This is how its supposed to work. I had no trouble at all listing AADS in TAAML, and connecting. However if AADS is ran from Win XP SP3, AADS is listed in TAAML with odd ports, such as something like 10151, and gameplay was not... entirely... great. Things just seemed off.
2.) DCTM wrote TAAML in 2010, and during that time was using an older computer far later than I should have. I was using a Win XP based Pentium 4 (at least it had Hyperthreading, so I had 2 threads), up until December of 2012. This would have led me to believe AADS had issues listing in TAAML.
3.) We always ran PS2 hosted servers for bots so that the games felt "full" with lots of targets, so AADS was a lower priority. As such these issues were not fully vetted out over the years.
4.) I am not entirely sure why users were unable to get their AADS servers listed in the Master List, as my testing proves it works just fine. Users possibly were not opening the proper ports.

Hosting AADS, getting it to list in TAAML, and connecting, works just fine.

How well AADS works itself is another issue. I was running into some problems with my ammo registering accuratly when hosting. Basically I would exhaust all of my ammo, and 2 rounds would remain and it would make an odd noise. Going to suit up at a station refills all the ammo again, but this doesn't register until you fire a shot. This isn't how it worked on AADS in the past did it?

Side note: The testing environment that I had stated in the past was needed, was rather involved. I needed to setup multiple routers, at least 1 PS2, at least 1 PC that can run PCSX2 emulation instance that can connect online, A Win 7 virtual machine, both bare metal Win XP and Win 7 PC's, along with multiple routers. I basically needed to be able to test out every scenario, and simulate TWO players across the internet trying to play with each other, on isolated networks, along with AADS and TAAML thrown in the mix. Now that I have all this setup, I can properly test stuff out.

Currently OC's DNS server is down, due to the IP being reclaimed by my server host. They switched to a paid plan for previously free IPv4 addresses. I missed the invoice and the IP's were reclaimed. I have to resolve this. Once I have this fixed it would be great if I could get some of you all to do some testing on TAAML with an AADS server listed. A discord server with a AADS server stabbed into emulation instances is kinda janky (which is what you all have been doing at the moment for matches). A proper TAAML with many AADS servers listed, and the potential for PS2 hosted servers is where we want to be.

You’re an absolute legend, and we appreciate everything you have done.

Come join us in celebrating the after party for the 21st birthday of TAA.
10/22 8pm est

https://discord.gg/wy3YbYsNm2

Join the discord or PM me for Az if you have any questions
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:35 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Given the lapse of time and lack of response, I am now under the assumption the old Clan community from TribesAA.net, has what they need, and no further assistance is needed.

I will still be working to provide TribesAA network services for the general public beyond the older clan community.

I sent you my phone number in pm. Anytime you are available feel free to contact me about testing. I have setup a website also of the tribes history. Since you were a mod on the old site. If you have any input that would be great. Also if you know anyone who has old forum logs that would be ideal. Trying to search out the gtt data to archive it. My website is www.tribesaerialassault.com I hope you will take a look and tell me what you think. I compiled a bunch of information from wayback machine archives and i was able to locate a bunch of the members sig tags, clan avatars, etc. I would love to be able to add the gtt tournament brackets but the only one's i have found were from the deathmatch one. As they are on the facebook group page. We are getting nearly 10 per event currently. So please if you see this hop over and join us. We would love to have your knowledge. There are a few other mods there. Linkin, Whitey, Skulli. So if nothing else it would just be nice to have you as part of our community as well. i know your time is limited but I think you would enjoy not having to moderate for a change.