Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:46 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

+Sony's goal for PlayStation 3 is to get into electronic broadband distribution, in which people can download games over the network, through Sony's DNAS (Sony's online security protocol). This site will always just cover the PS2's online games, so what does this have to do with this site? Well DNAS that's what. Sony is committed to using their DNAS on through into the PS3's lifespan. This is good news knowing the online games we play now will be on for a really long time. For those of you who do not know, DNAS is sony's authentication protocol for anti-cheat, and software identification.

+Gradius V to have Internet rankings

+A stripped down version of PlayStation 2 may appear in E3, with "cosmetic changes". (Possibly the rumored compact version PStwo) This could mean integrated internet functions.

+Resident Evil Outbreak 2 was announced

rank 9
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:11 pm
quote : #2
Ooh... A smaller PS2 with an integrated Network Adaptor? That would be nice. (Also maybe with a more durable optical drive? Maybe?)

But it is good to hear that Sony is getting and staying serious about online console gaming. It is the future, after all.
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:26 pm
quote : #3
Man that is a good idea that sony has maybe they can make it all online like in the way that you purchase games and patches and all of that, kinda like the way that the shockwave shock machine worked. You would download a program and browse online for the game you wanted ....

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:58 pm
quote : #4
You know why I didn't get the HDD? Because Sony decided not to put the Navigator software on it that has been out in Japan for two years now. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Sony had TWO years to get their 'games-on-demand' business model set-up in America. For someone like me who cannot always go out to EB or Wal-Mart, that was the selling point.

-Mytho
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:12 pm
quote : #5
martianviking wrote:
Ooh... A smaller PS2 with an integrated Network Adaptor? That would be nice. (Also maybe with a more durable optical drive? Maybe?)

But it is good to hear that Sony is getting and staying serious about online console gaming. It is the future, after all.

I don't know about the itegrated network features I don't even know if this is getting released. All sony said so far is they are thinking of releasing a pstwo. Thats all that is known at the moment. Overall I am happy with my current PS2. I wouldn't mind picking up a PStwo if it comes out, because disc read errors are no fun. Plus I could then have a LAN network of 2 consoles in-case friends come over.

Memphissss wrote:
Man that is a good idea that sony has maybe they can make it all online like in the way that you purchase games and patches and all of that, kinda like the way that the shockwave shock machine worked. You would download a program and browse online for the game you wanted ....

That won't be till PS4.

TheMytho wrote:
You know why I didn't get the HDD? Because Sony decided not to put the Navigator software on it that has been out in Japan for two years now. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Sony had TWO years to get their 'games-on-demand' business model set-up in America. For someone like me who cannot always go out to EB or Wal-Mart, that was the selling point.

-Mytho

I didn't get the HDD right away for that as well. I will be getting it eventually though. Because Area 51 will be supporting it. As well as a few other upcoming games. But only getting it once it seems valuable for me to own it and put it to use.
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:09 am
quote : #6
LordNikon wrote:
Memphissss wrote:

That won't be till PS4.

can you imagine what that would be like a totaly online system no need fot discs, no need to go to gamestop or EB games. It would breed a more lazier gamer than what we already are. To have every game there available at you finger tips and not have to get up and put in a disc is a thought all in its own .....

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:20 am
quote : #7
In a lot of ways I like having an actual disc or game. Its what I have been doing since I first started gaming. It will probobly catch on with other gamers and younger gamers. But that type of a system will probobly won't have a huge impact on me.

Honestly I am already finding games that I have a lot of fun playing. Also the console for me for eternity is the Dreamcast. So I'm kinda settling down now as far as gaming. I have a lesser and lesser need to get the newest thing.
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:53 am
quote : #8
Yeah, going out and getting the latest machine is not very attractive to me either, right up until there is compelling software to run on it.

The HDD for PS2 is interesting, but I don't think I could spend any more time playing an RPG-style game than I already to on PAL version PSO for the Dreamcast, so FF:XI isn't enough to get me to shell out for the HDD.

I have heard, however, that Resident Evil: Outbreak has ridiculously long loading times if you don't have the HDD. That's a lot of money for one game (RE:O plus HDD) so it probably won't happen for a while, but that would be another argument for shelling out cash on a HDD.

Even though I know it won't happen, an on-demand game system would be a plus too, if only for the option to try out stuff that you'd probably never actually go out and buy. Not everyone has the patience for RedOctane or GameFly, and it is nice to be able to try new stuff.

Of course, a PStwo would be an excellent option for anyone who is interested in buying a PS2 system (first one or second one), even if it didn't come with integrated networking. Disc Read Errors are hell.