8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12
maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:17 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just bought the network adapter and want to try broadband cable(no dsl here) but do I need a PC? Or can I just run it from cable to cat5 and let me ps2 log on? HELP!!!

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:19 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
You should be fine maciver. Just let your PS2 auto-detect the network settings and you should be set.

-Mytho
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:46 am
quote : #3
i just got dsl myself and i dont know the specifics about cable broad band but since i have no router i have to carry the ip from my pc to the playstation to i dont know if it will still work .... but if you enter all your info like the subnet mask and ip address and all that good stuff you should be fine ...... just curious but how do u post here if you have no pc?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:25 am
quote : #4
Memphissss wrote:
i just got dsl myself and i dont know the specifics about cable broad band but since i have no router i have to carry the ip from my pc to the playstation to i dont know if it will still work ....

If you don't have a router you could do ICS using a crossover cable and a spare LAN card in your PC. Since you already are ICS savey, I would recommend doing this. Will work really easy.

Memphissss wrote:
...... just curious but how do u post here if you have no pc?

He has a Dreamcast :]
rank 16
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:11 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:

If you don't have a router you could do ICS using a crossover cable and a spare LAN card in your PC. Since you already are ICS savey, I would recommend doing this. Will work really easy.

how would i do this i just got broadband and i have don't have a router and i need to ICS it because in order to surf the net i need to unplug the cable from my playstation and in order to play PS2 online in need to unplug the cable from my computer. How would i ICS my PS2 with 2 NIC's and be able to surf the net. I've tried it and it would connect i have tried several times. Thanks for the help .......

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:00 pm
quote : #6
You would set it up just like you had ICS for dialup, however instead of the primary connection being your dialup account...it would be your cable service running into another network card.

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/cms_view_article.php?aid=6

2 network cards, 1 connecting PC to the cable modem, and then another connecting your PS2 to your PC via crossover cable.
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:26 pm
quote : #7
Back to the original question.. (i think):

No. No PC is required for broadband. The setup guys may come over and ask where your computer is to "set it up," but just tell them it's for your PlayStation2. They'll run all the cable and stuff and place the cable modem where it's required. Just make sure that it's not a USB cable modem, 'cause if so, you can't use it, unless some games support a USB cable modem via the USB ports.

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:47 pm
quote : #8

Last edited by Memphissss on Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:04 pm
quote : #9
Thanks I keep getting different info but I trust you guys. I have been alot of places including sonys website and no info! I have been using my dreamcast with Excaliburs XDP webbrowser does anyone know if the ps2 will ever have a webbrowser for it?

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:58 pm
quote : #10
Memphissss wrote:
satoshi wrote:
Back to the original question.. (i think):

No. No PC is required for broadband. The setup guys may come over and ask where your computer is to "set it up," but just tell them it's for your PlayStation2. They'll run all the cable and stuff and place the cable modem where it's required. Just make sure that it's not a USB cable modem, 'cause if so, you can't use it, unless some games support a USB cable modem via the USB ports.

thanks nikon ill be able to be on the internet and play ps2 at the same time now, WOO HOO .....

Nikon? ::scratches head::

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:48 pm
quote : #11
maciver wrote:
...does anyone know if the ps2 will ever have a webbrowser for it?

Heh... Yeah, I know how to do that. Get the PS2 hard drive, get the PS2 Linux kit, install it all, and browse.

Sorry, I know that's not what you meant. I really don't know if Sony will ever allow a browser disc for the PS2. It'd be nice, but they'll only release one if they happen to feel that it would "fit the business model." They're not likely to do it because a few of us want it.

And as far as using a cable modem with a console and no PC, it is definitely possible. Your cable modem should have an ethernet jack on it, in which case you run that straight to your PS2. If your modem only has a USB port, it is theoretically possible that you could get a router that would allow you to plug the modem into that via USB and then your PS2 into the router via ethernet. Of course, if you're in that situation it'd probably be easier to just get a cheap $150 PC from one of those online liquidators (or even a cheap iMac from somewhere), but yeah, it's possible.
maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:58 pm
quote : #12
Time Warners RoadRunner Cable Isp Service said on the phone to me NO PC NO CABLE MODEM!!! I am calling Earthlink Monday!

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:23 pm
quote : #13
maciver wrote:
Time Warners RoadRunner Cable Isp Service said on the phone to me NO PC NO CABLE MODEM!!! I am calling Earthlink Monday!

If you want a cable modem and want to use it, then it's essential to have a PC. It's pointless having a cable modem without a PC. You have software that is necessary to be installed, which cannot be done on the Dreamcast.

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:20 pm
quote : #14
I kno for sure u can get SBC yahoo DSL without a pc my friend got it just for his xbox live and he has no PC.
Posted:
Sat May 01, 2004 7:21 am
quote : #15
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
maciver wrote:

If you want a cable modem and want to use it, then it's essential to have a PC. It's pointless having a cable modem without a PC. You have software that is necessary to be installed, which cannot be done on the Dreamcast.

Software? Like what??? It'll work FINE without a PC. Trust me. Before my mom had a router, I plugged my cable modem directly into my GameCube for PSO. It worked FINE, infact, it worked better. I didn't have to set up funky port rules like I would have with a router. And I didn't have to fumble with ICS. Just plug the cable modem into any network enabled device, and you're ready to go. Unless, however, RoadRunner is a stupid company that uses USB instead of ethernet for their cable modems. That's just pure stupidity right there. Seriously. USB is horrible compared to ethernet. Ethernet was made specifically for networking, USB was not. They're just lazy, that's all.