Topic: Linux kit for the Ps2 .....

Page 1 of 1
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 9:41 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
check it out here. This is crazy i am definitly going to get this. I wanted an XBOX to hack it but now i dont need to. Does this meen that we can finally surf the internet on our PS2's? There are some FAQ's about it here.........

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 9:53 am
quote : #2
Yea, that kit is quiet old, or at least it has been avaliable for a few years. I think you can surf the web with it though. Very Happy

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 9:56 am
quote : #3
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
Yea, that kit is quiet old, or at least it has been avaliable for a few years. I think you can surf the web with it though. Very Happy
how? the HDD has just came out. Not unless it has been out in Japan .....

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 12:05 pm
quote : #4
Memphissss wrote:
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
how? the HDD has just came out. Not unless it has been out in Japan .....

Japan has had the PS2 hard drive for several years, around 2 1/2 to be exact, about the same time that they have had FF:XI which uses the hard drive. The first ones had an external hard drive (see picture above) because the orignal Japanese PS2's did not have an expansion bay like the USA versions do, but that was done away with later so internal hard drives could be used on the Japanese system. Yea, I know it sucks, but in most cases we get everything a little too late. Sad

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 1:15 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
The linux kit does not include a harddrive designed to work with games. It's only for linux. That's it.

The thing is, the Linux PS2 kit originally cost $199.99. Then they lowered the price to $99.99. They will not be making anymore. So if you want one, get one while they last.

If you don't plan on taking advantage of the real HDD and download content, then picking up the PS2 Linux Kit would be a wise choice. Personally if your not a FF-XI gamer, then I'd get the Linux Kit, because I really don't think sony will ever support the HDD enough to make it worth buying the HDD for download content.

There are many things to consider. This URL will answer ALL of your questions:

http://playstation2-linux.com/faq.php

For one I totally forgot it was 99.99 for the linux kit now, thanx for reminding me with this thread, and will be getting this soon for sure.
banned!
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 3:40 pm
quote : #6
ok i can clearly see that its is for making video games but what other purpose does it serve?

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 4:58 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea, as Nikon said, the Linux Kit came with it's own, specially formatted HDD. Though I see no reason why it CAN'T be used for games, just whip out your FFXI HD Util disc and wipe it clean... hm I heard that the FFXI HDD has some weird firmware which doesn't even allow a PC to read the drive. Odd..

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 6:36 pm
quote : #8
So if i get a final fantasy hdd then i cant use it with the linux kit? .....
Why cant they just make one universal piece of hardware? .....

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Thu May 06, 2004 6:43 pm
quote : #9
Memphissss wrote:
So if i get a final fantasy hdd then i cant use it with the linux kit? .....
Why cant they just make one universal piece of hardware? .....

The Linux kit was intended to be more of a programmer-only deal, and not for the casual gamer.