Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
darkjedi
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
hey ppl not too long ago i was at the snk site and was reading about ps2 getting metalslug 3 and 4 around the end of the year and 5 in janurary 2005 now some people told me its still gonna happen others say sony didnt pay enough for it so it was cancelled. Now I REALLY like metal slug but i dont want to go out and buy another console just to play it.

-darkjedi
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:49 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well metal slug 3 supposedly was canceled for a US release. So far Metal Slug 4 and 5 are to be bundled for release in jan 2005.

If you wanted you could import Metal Slug 3 for PS2, its been out in JP on ps2 for quite sometime:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-70-23o-4-5-77-4-15-Metal%2BSlug.html

Thing is would have to mod your PS2 or something to play it.

I should ask Kontact to help make a tutorial on how to do a swap disc mod for PS2's, well atleast the easiest mod available. Kontact knows what mods are super easy and would allow for a swap disc for imports.

I'm probobly going to end up just importing Metal Slug 3 for PS2. I doubt 3 will get released in the US.
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:10 am
quote : #3
It was released for Xbox, and I doubt you'll see it for PS2, so.... the Xbox version is your only route, unless you want to import.

-Mytho
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:08 pm
quote : #4
thx for the info plz send more info on modding its diffcult to find mod chips or cd transfers in my area

-darkjedi
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:16 pm
quote : #5
no problemo, i'll ask kontact next time i run into him, or if he comes across this thread.
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:31 pm
quote : #6
Metal Slug 3 will not see a US release. The deal for Metal Slug 3 and SVC Chaos in the US are Xbox exclusives. However this wasnt Microsoft buying it for exclusivity, its because Sony turned the games down stating they had to be cleaned and made "more 3D" to bother releasing them. Well once Sony found out that atomiswave ports ( which are sammy games and the system that all new snk playmore games will be released on) were coming to home consoles they wanted in but they were too late to get ms3 and svc in the states, big mistake. However everything else (king of fighters 2002 and on, Metal 4 and on, Samurai Shodown 5 and on etc.. will all be released on ps2 in the US, as of right now thats the word anyway. These games are also supposed to support online functions on ps2 and not just xbox.

As for modding, these two are the most user friendly options:

- Flip Top mod (used with swap discs)
http://consolesource.com/ecomm/customer/product.php?productid=1715&cat=4&page=2

- Solderless plug n play chip mod (used with swap discs)
http://consolesource.com/ecomm/customer/product.php?productid=10&cat=4&page=3

There is also the slide card but I dont recommend that, you are basically forcing the eject tray open against the PS2s will and that could only lead to bad things.

*Note that the plug n play chip will not work in the newer plus model ps2s as the newer models have the eject button built in and mounted to the base of the ps2 and not the cover. This is where your only choice is the flip top or slide card.

And of course you can buy a modded unit but that might be pricey. There are tons of modchips for the ps2 which require soldering but the install is rediculous. I am very experienced with soldering and modding but the ps2 chips are so insanely difficult I refuse to bother with it, I already messed up a brand new ps2 trying it and luckily I had a service plan to just walk in an get a new one no questions asked. The solder points are the size of human hairs practically and right next to each other. Its definitely a tough call as Metal Slug 3 is one of the best games ever made, so if you dont have an xbox or can manage with just 4 and 5 and so on then your all good. Otherwise mod away.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:01 pm
quote : #7
"more 3D" wtf? Does Sony not want any good 'ol 2D like games on the system? Bad Sony, bad.

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:11 pm
quote : #8
satoshi wrote:
"more 3D" wtf? Does Sony not want any good 'ol 2D like games on the system? Bad Sony, bad.

I remember reading a tidbit somewhere in a PSM issue about how PS2 is seeing fewer and fewer 2D games in the U.S. because of nobody wanting to publish them here (i.e. Sony). Bad move on their part.
Posted:
Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:10 am
quote : #9
Some of the best fighters are 2D, Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown any SNK game are the great games!! Dreamcast has a bunch from Capcom and SNK, and the system does them well. Microsoft wants these games because they know theres a big fan base for them. Sony did this no 2D games policy with PSone as well, at least they fixed it some what this time.

Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:57 pm
quote : #10
yea they tried to fix it, but the bad sales hindered the 2D games. Sony sees bad 2D sales as a warning sign, which they are slowly staying away from.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:48 am
quote : #11
Spidhopddy wrote:
yea they tried to fix it, but the bad sales hindered the 2D games. Sony sees bad 2D sales as a warning sign, which they are slowly staying away from.

Hopefully that means that the PS2 won't get Viewtiful Joe, at least not here in America Razz