Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:01 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Set to release in Japan this fall, the expansion to FFXI Online will add 4 new areas to the game as well as 2 new NPCs. 'Ulmia' is a female who sings professionally with the choir at the Mahatma temple. Esha'ntarl is a senior officer for a special research organization, Arumatah. This expansion should hit US shores sometime in 2005. Below are some details on the new areas...

Tavnazian Safehold:
This underground area was built to protect the inhabitants from the monsters above ground, when Tavnazia was invaded by beastmen. Above ground, it looks like a set of ruins, but underground, everything seems intact. The people here have been shut away from civilization for a long time, so the technology is not advanced.

Uleguerand Range:
The Orc race of beastmen first opened up this mountain pass on the north coast of the Quon continent. The San d'Orian Knights used to come here to stop the expansion of the Orcs, and a legendary story is based here on Thousandfall Ridge.

Bibiki Bay:
At the south east of Mindartia continent, facing Gugru Blue, lies Bibiki Bay. Used for a long time by Taru-Taru fishermen, the bay is full of sea produce, and has recently become popular with the fishing guild. The guild is also trying to establish themselves on Purgonorgo Isle, a small island in the bay.

Phomiuna Aqueducts:
Before the war, these underground tunnels were used to supply Tavnazia with water, but now they are mostly empty, with few people knowing the current situation inside these aqueducts. Sometime ago, it is said a large holy relic was stored down here.

rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 am
quote : #2
And you said you didn't do news for sequels!

Looks nice though.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:24 am
quote : #3
It's an expansion though Very Happy
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:29 am
quote : #4
Will this expansion be hitting both PS2 and PC users at the same time, or will the PC gamers get the expansion X number of months earlier than PS2 gamers?

-Mytho
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:34 am
quote : #5
TheMytho wrote:
Will this expansion be hitting both PS2 and PC users at the same time, or will the PC gamers get the expansion X number of months earlier than PS2 gamers?

Probobly not. Prolly will get released the same way as the original was. Development process would suggest a late 2005 US release for the PS2. This is me guessing of course.
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:24 am
quote : #6
One thing that got my turned away from FFXI Online was that it was cross-platform with the pc and ps2 users in the same game. Are there alot of updates that u must download or very few. If there arent many i may be interested in purchasing the HDD.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:44 am
quote : #7
Spin: When I got the game back in March, there was one large update for FFXI and several small ones for PlayOnline. It seems you have broadband, so don't worry about it. Smile It took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get into the game.

-Mytho
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:59 am
quote : #8
Spidhopddy wrote:
One thing that got my turned away from FFXI Online was that it was cross-platform with the pc and ps2 users in the same game. Are there alot of updates that u must download or very few. If there arent many i may be interested in purchasing the HDD.

It all depends on when you get the game. I installed my friend's copy of the PC version on my PC a while back, and I had to download a TON of files. He got his copy in October though, so it had NO patches on it. When I got my PS2 version (march) I had very few updates to install. And how might cross-platform turn one away from FFXI? I think it's awesome. It allows many more people to play that wouldn't normally be able to. Also, a few of my friends have the PC version, so it's nice to still be able to play with them.