Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:26 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

That's right, speculation can be put to rest. Months ago, and even before E3, we cought wind of this ground breaking FPS and wondered if it would be online. The answer is, yes! ColdWinter will be Broadband Only, and hosted at GameSpy. This is a good thing since many GameSpy games happen to feature keyboard support. Which is a rare commodity these days for console games.

ColdWinter was originally scheduled to release as a multi-platform console title. However, shockingly it was made a PS2 exclusive. It is great that ColdWinter is going to be PS2 only. Why? Because games ported from some of the other more PC friendly platforms on the market usually don't end up as good on the PS2 due to inexperienced programmers. We get short changed. But, when games get programmed with the PS2 in mind, they look amazing, and perform very well. Just look at WarHammer 40k: FireWarrior. The reason the PS2 version blows away the PC version is because the engine for the game was developed for the PS2. So beacuse of the game being a PS2 exclusive, it ensures the game will turn out considerably better had it been otherwise.

This game's real shine will not be it's online component. I repeat. The game's shine will NOT be it's online component. The programmers working on this game are working on creating a PC worthy FPS...for the home console. So they are arn't holding back like some other developers do. ColdWinter's major selling point is it's physics system and ragdoll effects. They are shockingly realistic. I have been tracking this game since it was first announced and it is so impressive I just started laughing out loud and squirming in my chair.

In this one clip the the character moves into a kitchen. He mows down a badguy with the ak-47. Sending blood all over the walls. Then...he proceeds to shoot at pots and pans hanging from the cieling. If a bullet grazes the pan it will not fall off its hook completly...and sway in the air. Others blasted off bouncing off the walls and rattling onto the floor. He then started opening cabinets....ovens....stoves.... The environment is fully interactive! You can even pick up baskets, crates, and other objects...toss them at enemies and watch them stumble over them.

When you shoot at enemies the bullets effect how they are killed and hit. There is real inertia here. In one scene I witnessed the player shoot out the badguys legs sending him lurching down forward to a near kneeling stance.....and then he raised the gun up and blasted rounds into his shoulder and chest sending the badguy flying backwards hard onto the ground. Bullets have the capability to hit hands and arms and impact the falling direction of the body.

Here is the official information from VU Games:
http://www.vugames.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=591
You are Andrew Sterling, British MI6 agent and expert in the kind of covert operations the public doesn't believe proper governments engage in. Caught spying in China, you await execution. Your government denies all knowledge of your activities and leaves you to die. However, a friend from your military past arranges your escape and, later, employs your unique talents at his private security agency. Your first mission--eliminating an arms dealer who supplies terrorists--propels you on a course where nothing is as it seems. Duty, honor, and allegiance obscure as you are snared in the machinations of a powerful-but-deluded secret society.

Incredible Realism

• Realistic interaction with highly-detailed and life-like environments, featuring real-world physics, searching fallen enemies, and manipulating objects to use as cover
  • Intelligent adversaries tactically evaluate situations by taking or creating cover, calling reinforcements or fearlessly charging when cornered
  • Extremely realistic depiction of zone-specific body damage and rag-doll death animations
    Over 30 real-world weapons depicted in exacting detail enhances the action

Compelling Campaign Mode
  • Six gritty and exotic environments including a Chinese prison and a North African arms fair
  • Original storyline brings to life both the heroic and fatally-misguided characters that inhabit the shadowy world of international espionage

Multiplayer Support
  • Online multiplayer powered by GameSpy and up to four-player split-screen off-line multiplayer

ColdWinter will be released in the US in January of 2005. For those European PS2 gamers out there. The game should also see a European release, which I believe it was originally designed for. However I have not cought any wind yet of an Online released for the EUR version. If you guys catch any info from the PS2 EUR network community, be sure to drop us a line.

For more continued information on ColdWinter visit the official website at: www.coldwinter.com
For some excellent media on the game, check out these screens at GameSpot:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/coldwinter/screenindex.html

rank 24
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:27 pm
quote : #2
Sounds good. I've heard more about other not-so-hyped first-person shooters like Snowblind, but this is one I will be checking out. Here's hoping for a playable demo soon! Wink
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:40 am
quote : #3
WOW! It looks like a great game with hundreds of possibilities. Her's hoping the features in the clip don't get taken out by launch.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:06 am
quote : #4
yeah this game looks good,,,,, another game coming out that temps you to buy it.. it seems like alot of those are popping out.
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:00 pm
quote : #5
I will definitely seek out more information on this game. From the description I read of the game, it really grabbed my interest from a couple of key perspectives.

First, it's not often at all that first person shooters are developed exclusively for the PS2. Just about every FPS that hits the PS2 hits everything else. Games that are developed with the PS2 in mind, like Gran Turismo 3, look and perform amazingly well.

Second, FPS games that really push the envelope with their physics engines, seem to really leave their mark. The Half Life series really comes to mind for me on that one. Having a good physics engine really helps immerse the player in the game by providing a layer of credibility that is too often overlooked. The way something moves, the weight and characteristics that are assigned to it. Without a good physics engine, it's hard to really get in the game. I have a disc with demo video of Half Life 2 gameplay, and I must admit I began giggling hysterically when it began playing. I could not believe how real it seemed. It was immediately apparent - watching a jeep move, seeing the water ripple, it was absolutely stunning.

I hope that Coldwinter approaches this level of complexity with it's physics engine, and really delivers a stunner for the PS2. I'll definitely check it out when it launches.