Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Syphon Filter Omega Strain has been delayed. Not just delayed a few weeks, but delayed a few months. A couple days ago I was fuming mad about this. However I kind of changed my mind about wether this is a good thing or a bad thing. A lot of online games came out for the ps2 in Q4 of 2003. Most of them fell short of the mark, delivering less than desired results, leaving gamers wanting more. (Warhammer 40,000's 4 online maps springs to mind)

So you gotta think: Is a a couple extra months of fine tuning worth it to put out a really solid online title that will provide hours of pleasurable gaming fun? I think YES.

Syphon Filter Proves to be the first of it's kind on next gen consoles. Offering online multi-player co-op gameplay through the action based single player mode. Botching this game would be a severe tragedy.

"The team took a close look at how much tuning and gameplay balancing was necessary to complete the game with our original vision intact. We then decided to take some additional time to implement that extra bit of polish into the game," the two designers said.

"While we know our fans cannot wait to get their hands on Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, we are convinced they will think the extra time was worth it when they see what we've done with Gabe Logan and crew."

After all the hit and miss online titles that game out in the past few weeks, I am now rather content with this pushback. Gamedevelopers should realize that you could release an old classic game with online capabilities and have it explode with users. What if they released Unreal Tournament DX for the PS2, with actual online play? Man the servers would be swarmed with gamers. Am I the only one that thinks about these things? Apperently...because developers are putting out lackluster online modes in XIII and Warhammer 40,000, not putting that extra time in to make a game really stand out.

Hopefully the Omega Strain team comes through on this one. (Hell, maybe they realized they needed to make it dialup compatible and are making adjustments! hehe just a theory.)

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:31 pm
quote : #2
Quote:
Syphon Filter Proves to be the first of it's kind on next gen consoles. Offering online multi-player co-op gameplay through the action based single player mode. Botching this game would be a severe tragedy.

*cough*Lord of the Rings: Return of the King*cough*

EDIT:

*cough*007: Everything or Nothing*cough*

But it was about time we got some online co-op.

Double EDIT (I somehow forgot this one even though I knew a while ago):

*cough*Sims: Bustin' Out*cough*

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:03 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Apple wrote:
Quote:

*cough*Lord of the Rings: Return of the King*cough*

EDIT:

*cough*007: Everything or Nothing*cough*

But it was about time we got some online co-op.

Double EDIT (I somehow forgot this one even though I knew a while ago):

*cough*Sims: Bustin' Out*cough*

Ok I did completly forget about lord of the rings return of the king. So i admit to that one. However 007 i just learned about 5 minutes before makeing that post so I didn't know about it when I posted the Omega Strain post.

ALSO the sims is an RPG, not an action game where your progressing through levels....with end bosses etc etc.

The one thing I am still trying to find out is...if Omega Strain is 3 players....or 4 players. Sites are all saying different things.
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:34 pm
quote : #4
I can see where your coming from Nikon. Last couple of games have been really dissapointing. I rather wait it out then be dissapointed again.