Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Well so far the entire concept of a dedicated server has been this foreign idea. A no mans land for console gamers. This sure hasn't been propogated by gamers themselves. It in-fact comes from console companies themselves. Who place a stigma / stereotype on online console gamers as if running a dedicated server would just be too complicated. Slowly but surely this is turning around. And gamers indeed are actually getting dedicated server software. Star Wars Battlefront on the Playstation 2 becomes the 3rd online console game to recieve a dedicated server, and 2nd PS2 game.

A bit of history here. The original breakthrough game to first have a dedicated server was Quake 3 Arena on the Sega Dreamcast. This was made possible because id games made it compatible with the PC version and released the dreamcast map pack. This allowed both PC and DC players to play together. However it also enabled DC gamers to use the PC dedicated server at the 1.16n point release to run their own server.

Next up was Tribes Aerial Assault for the PS2. Programmed by Ricochette. The network programmer at Inevitable entertainment who worked on the game. The server was coded as a contribution to the TAA online community. It was done so after business hours on free time, and allowed for release by sierra entertainment.

And now we come to Star Wars Battlefront. In reality the first standalone official dedicated server release for a commercial online console game. This pushes the rest of the industry to take notice, and see how releasing such software improves online communities and sells more games. This is a really big deal. It also shows how the PS2's 3rd party controlled online environment has some HUGE advantages. Since Star Wars Battlefront is online forever with its LAN capabilities, it can bypass DNAS. Thus allowing gamers to route Battlefront past any unforseen future dnas errors onto a private dedicated server using a tunneling application. This makes this Dedicated Server release that much more important.

The software can be downloaded here: (more mirrors will be provided over time)
Fileplanet:
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/145863.shtml

GameSpot DLX:
http://dlx.gamespot.com/ps2/starwarsbattlefront/moreinfo_6108074.html

rank 39
Posted:
Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:30 am
quote : #2
this is a big plus being able to do this... this will be helpful for clans since there is no friends list or clan support and some people that just want to get together and play...
this shold open up alot more options with this game.. and if you canplay cross platmroe that would be insame too.
Posted:
Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:23 pm
quote : #3
whats with all the cross platform compatability im hearing? can the xbox verson tunnel to a ps2 or somthing?

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:41 am
quote : #4
If there is indeed cross-compatibility with dedicated Battlefront servers, I doubt the Xbox version would be involved (it's set under Live and controlled by Microsoft). The PC and PS2 mixin' it up seems plausible, though. Wink
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:33 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
MICHAE2414 wrote:
If there is indeed cross-compatibility with dedicated Battlefront servers, I doubt the Xbox version would be involved (it's set under Live and controlled by Microsoft). The PC and PS2 mixin' it up seems plausible, though. Wink

That would be awesome, but would present some of the same issues that DC/PC Quake III involved: not all DC users had a mouse (I'm sure BattleFront doesn't support a USB mouse..), PC users are able to turn down their settings to make it look awful and play incredibly well, or, on the flip side, have a really powerful machine where they can up the resolution and see far into the distance. And there will always be PC client-side hacks of some sort. The FFXI cross-compatibility wasn't an issue because the only advantage PC players had was better graphics and faster framerate, assuming they had the proper hardware (which was also a disadvantage, of the three machines I've ran FFXI on, one of them was so bad that I had to use a TV card to run the PS2 version).