Page Location: Home > Armored Core > Topic
lordnikon
rank 58
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Posts: 2798
Type: NTSC-U/C
I picked up the game last night. It's been a long time coming and I have been waiting for this game to come out since I first heard about it. Finally this game is in my grasp. I have to warn you that the graphics take a considerable change over AC3 / SL. Personally I liked AC3 / SL's graphics the best. With Nexus...and most likely from what I have seen, Nine Breaker, From Software is taking the games look in a slight new direction. The particle effects and atmospherics have all been beefed up. And there is a global motion blur that is exerted on everything which takes away a lot of the crispness and clarity you would see in AC3 (which I love). It's not a bad thing...its just different, and after playing it for a while, I ahve come to really really like the look and effect.

Major changes have been made to heating and now you can tune parts. Also one of the major gripes people have instantly had, is you can't sell your stock AC parts. WHICH is not a bad thing since the game is all setup different. You get tons of credits during missions. Like 62,000 man. And there is also Ravens Ark which lets you get paid to go through training exercises.

Also the Arena mode has been merged into the missions setup kinda, they pop up over time. So you can't just sit back and blow through Arena opponents only, like you could in AC3. This is a feature I really liked in AC3. Which I guess is a good thing because it brings something new to the table with Nexus, and doesn't make another AC game in the series obsolete.

The game comes on 2 discs, and the 2nd disc titled Revolutions....ROCKS. It contains 15 revamped missions from all the PSONE AC titles. Plus a 30 track compilation soundtrack. Posters, movies, mini-movies, and all are setup to be unlockable.

My only major gripe with the game so far is the voice acting. I don't like it. Its too loud and sounds like the meter is in the redzone. It's not as professional as AC3, and when you do missions the game doesn't read back the text its displaying. Which is a real bummer. I loved hearing the voices in AC3 they were done really really well. Specially your heads voice. However in AC:Nexus they are just average and arn't up to par with previous titles in the series.

All in all this is the most complete AC game yet. The revolutions disc is worth the 50 bucks alone. And the parts tuning features and new heat limitations add a whole new dimension to the gameplay. I recommend reading ntsc-uk's review of the game which takes a serious look at the game and explains many of the games new features in depth:
http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=ps2&game=ArmoredCoreNexus

This game is going to easily keep me busy for the next year atleast. So much to do.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25 am; edited 4 times in total
  _________________
The most effective, in this war?
The Bydo have it... and they control it.
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:47 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Posts: 463
The removal (more correctly modification?) of Arena mode is kind of a bummer. I mean sure I like the missions, but once I really got into the game the Arena is what I liked the most. Playing in the arena outside of the game (which I assume is there) is just as good I suppose but you don't get credits. What's really important to me (to decide whether or not I want the game) is the parts they have. Does there seem to be a larger selection/variety than in AC3? Are there new types of parts?

You say missions give more money? How does that compare to pricing?

I'm also interested in the new heating system. I wish AC had a system like MechWarrior where you need to flush coolant sometimes. Does any of that show up at all?

How are the environments compared to AC3? Are they more interactive? More detailed? It matters less, especially considering my favorite map in AC3 is a rectangular prism filled with rectangular prisms.

Did you try dual analogs? Laughing

Lastly, I don't think you have two PS2s so I doubt you've tried setting up a LAN with the two discs huh?
 
lordnikon
rank 58
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:04 pm
quote : #3
profile : pm
Posts: 2798
Type: NTSC-U/C
Apple wrote:
Does there seem to be a larger selection/variety than in AC3? Are there new types of parts?

You say missions give more money? How does that compare to pricing?

yes there are a ton of new parts and variables. I almost got a headache just going over the shop and actually reading about what is possible with this game. See you can tune your parts. With all these histograms. You can buy a part str8 up at the shop right, and then tune it in certain areas to improve it. However it costs more money. And if you sell the part back you only get defualt value taht you bought it at. You would lose money spent on tuning.

The money is definatly there. And lots of it, because the game expects you to tune, and since you can't do arena alone outside of the overall experience like you could in AC3, needing startup capital is essential at first. So yea. There are PLENTY of ways to earn money. You start off with 40,000 and first 2 missions, which I completed were for 60,000+.

Apple wrote:
I'm also interested in the new heating system. I wish AC had a system like MechWarrior where you need to flush coolant sometimes. Does any of that show up at all?

This is the crazy part. Heating. Every item heats up your mech. So balancing this with radiators and generators is ESSENTIAL. Also. Using your boosters heats your mech up. So prepare to spend hours crunching numbers to optimize your mech. Seriously.

Apple wrote:
How are the environments compared to AC3? Are they more interactive? More detailed? It matters less, especially considering my favorite map in AC3 is a rectangular prism filled with rectangular prisms.

Remember how I said the graphics kinda take a slight switch up? Well the environments are what benefit the most. Luch colors and much more realistic graphics as far as the areas are concerned. The second mission you do is where your outside in the POURING raing defending these helicopters from attacking a base. I was totally cought offguard because in other AC's this level of atmosphere and particles never was like this.

The mechs look more pixelated, and there is that blur effect. I liek the clarity of AC3 alot, however like I said. This new look isn't bad, it's just different and it looks stunning. MT's actually explode now instead of just crumbling to the ground in a puff of smoke and blast. They actually explode and blow up!

Apple wrote:
Did you try dual analogs? Laughing

Yep I tried dual analogs. There are no sensitivity adjustment options. But from what I tried they perform just how you would expect they would. However... you might hate me or love me for this.

But I'm not using the dual-analog setup. I have become so accustomed to my current setup that I have trouble moving to a dual analog setup. Because mechs in AC games have a 'delay' or sluggish reaction, using my normal setup of pressing buttons to look around seemed more comfortable to me. But it's what I'm accustomed to. I think I am going to check out the dual analog setup some more, however I think I might end up sticking with my original setup. I have no problem using it as I am very very very very used to using it now. Practically second nature. Hell I went onto TribesAA and all hell broke loose......cause I thought I was playing armored core. LOL! Laughing

Apple wrote:
Lastly, I don't think you have two PS2s so I doubt you've tried setting up a LAN with the two discs huh?

Nope, but if I did I would totally be testing that out. From what I have heard from people online, poeple are already tunneling this and some are using xlink. There is word that this game gets laggy in a LOCAL environment. However this only occurred in the JP versions of the game running on PAL hardware using 4 mechs at the same time ALL shooting missles. The NTSC version of the game cleared up a ton of bugs or glitches that were apparent in the JP version. So we got a bit better version than the japanese this time around.
  _________________
The most effective, in this war?
The Bydo have it... and they control it.
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:26 pm
quote : #4
profile : pm
Posts: 463
Unless I'm mistaken, every part has always added heat. That's why the lack of radiators sort of irked me in AC3 once I realized that heat was killing me a lot. I'm glad to here there's more diversification. I hope I start to see stuff I've been wanting.

As far as your analog experience goes, I think a large part of it is that you've been playing AC3 during the past week. I've been off it since school started so I think it would be more natural. As I start to think about it though, the speed does seem to present an issue. I can see where it wouldn't be beneficial to treat it as an FPS. I'll have to try it myself.

Is the sound the same stock stuff as AC3? Has it improved, voice acting aside? Dolby Prologic is still on it (even though I don't think you have a system or fiber optic cables)? Also, what do you use for your video? I wonder if the blurry AC design would remain with component. I have a feeling that I wouldn't enjoy this game from my capture card, but would from my best setup.

As soon as I get the game (which could take a while) I'll try the LAN option even if I can't convince my cousin to play. The prospect of doing so is probably aided by the dual analogs though so I'm hopeful.

This may seem random, but can you give me any EO core specs? Razz They rock.
 
lordnikon
rank 58
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:34 pm
quote : #5
profile : pm
Posts: 2798
Type: NTSC-U/C
Audio overall is awsome. Just the voice acting is lame. Remember Agetec is responsible for localizing the game. So they probobly rushed and just got some lamers in the voice act the heads up voices. And there are no vocals reading back to you mission overviews. Which.....I loved in AC3.

Other than that all audio in the game is superb. The loading screen between stuff is a crazy animations and sound taht shows "Ravens Arc" very flashy and cool.

Just to let you know, many cores were removed and there are new ones. Hanger cores that have slots to store extra weapons.(still havnt read about this much)

You'll be very happy to know, your EO 20 slot core remains :]
  _________________
The most effective, in this war?
The Bydo have it... and they control it.
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:37 pm
quote : #6
profile : pm
Posts: 463
lordnikon wrote:

You'll be very happy to know, your EO 20 slot core remains :]


If it didn't, I'd just try to import it. This means I can tune it too!

I just realized that I can tune radiators as well.

It's funny how I've yet to get into a car game for the the tuning, but tuning in AC seems somewhat exciting.
 
lordnikon
rank 58
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:44 pm
quote : #7
profile : pm
Posts: 2798
Type: NTSC-U/C
That's because car games have zero balance in the gameplay. In AC a mech with heavy specs and a mech with light specs could be equal on the battlefield. Armored Core has such a deep system of checks and balances that it makes it actually competative.

In a car racing game. Any car with more expensive materials is better than it's predecessor. It only goes in one direction. Which is why every single street racing car customization game just gets boring. if you go into a race against someone with a better car you lose by defualt. Where's the fun in that? I would rather race with the exact same car, having the same chances of winning, using variables such as friction, physics, speeds, and game objects for what effects who wins. Unfortunatly with so many online racing games if another user has a faster car he will win the race, end of story.

In armored core a slower heavier AC could defeat a faster weaker ac, and vice versa. There is actual competition and checks and balances. Something car games have a hard time emulating.
  _________________
The most effective, in this war?
The Bydo have it... and they control it.
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:06 pm
quote : #8
profile : pm
Posts: 463
Yes, but if it were a race the OB fast AC still wins. Wink (Not that that's usually my style.)
 
lordnikon
rank 58
Posted:
Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 pm
quote : #9
profile : pm
Posts: 2798
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok here is some more info. I just did a mission worth 186,000 credits. Just to give you an idea of how much dinero were talking about here. Upon completion Arena mode has now started. Also I got an email and new parts have been unlocked:

HEAD added 1
CORE added 1
ARMS added 4
LEGS added 7
BOOSTER added 2

Posted Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:05 pm:

lol oops and then i hit the X button again to keep reading and:

GENERATOR added 1
INSIDE added 1
EXTENSION added 5
BACK UNIT added 5
ARM UNIT R added 11
ARM UNIT L added 7
OPTION added 4

:o

Posted Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:06 pm:

er oh and by the way....this was just a MIRAGE parts release Shocked
  _________________
The most effective, in this war?
The Bydo have it... and they control it.
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:56 pm
quote : #10
profile : pm
Posts: 463
So there is an Arena mode after all?

*sigh*

I don't want to spend $45 but there's no way in hell I can convince anyone else to by this game (whereas other games that's been working out well.)

I suppose I can wait until December for a non-online game as a gift.
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Display:   
 
View previous topic - View next topic
Page Location: Home > Armored Core > Topic