Page 1 of 1
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:32 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Now that I've had some time with my HDLoader, I was wondering if anyone knew of any interesting PS2 Homebrew projects?

Other than BoR (which I couldn't get running under any compatibility modes), I haven't really seen any cool homebrew projects on the net for the PS2. One of the reasons I got HDLoader (other than saving myself the indignity of having scratched discs and having to mod my PS2 to play imported software) was so that I could check out homebrew software without having to mod my system.

So does anyone know of any cool projects? Especially anything that people know for sure is HD Compatible? Any help would be greately appreciated. Thanks.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:21 pm
quote : #2
PS2 homebrew is a bit more tricky. Yes there are projects out there. You almost need a modded PS2 for sure. All I can tell you is PS2 homebrew development is a lot more technical than say, Dreamcast or Xbox homebrew development. Getting things to run typically involves a lot more troubleshooting and patience. And many of the tools developed for the PS2 are of more technical nature than practical home use. Usually tools for programmers. Or lots of tech demos and such.

Anyways, if you want to investigate here is a good place to start: http://ps2dev.org

There is definatly a ton you can do with a PS2 in terms of tinkering and development, its just a lot more tech oriented than other systems.
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:26 pm
quote : #3
that site is more technical than anything else. It has like 2 game demos posted. But it does have alot of neat utils. Laughing

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:02 pm
quote : #4
Yeah, I have yet to see a console homebrew scene as in depth and widely supported as the DC's (Of course, the fact that the DC reads CDRs natively doesn't hurt...).

The nice thing about HDLoader is that basically (as long as the software is compatible), if you can get it onto your HDD once, you're set forever. Using WinHiip and my computer, I can basically get any software I can find from the net onto my PS2's HDD with relative ease, thus eradicating my need for a modded system, which is nice. I already have an MP3 player (normally a burned disc) and the Sega Ages release of Golden Axe (normally a burned and imported disc) on my system, and both boot from my HDD fine. However, I tried getting BoR running, but I had no luck under any compatibility modes. It doesn't really bother me any though, since I have the DC version.

I've found some simple software for use on the PS2 Linux distro, but other than that, it seems pretty bleak for PS2 homebrew. Other than a few scattered emulators and Beats of Rage, I can't really find anything solid.

This makes me sad.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:14 pm
quote : #5
Einhander wrote:
...Using WinHiip and my computer, I can basically get any software I can find from the net onto my PS2's HDD with relative ease, thus eradicating my need for a modded system, which is nice. I already have an MP3 player (normally a burned disc) and the Sega Ages release of Golden Axe (normally a burned and imported disc) on my system, and both boot from my HDD fine...

Very nice :] When I am looking for help down the road on getting some stuff figured out with HD's and such, I will drop you a line with some questions probobly. I do want to get into experimenting with using a PS2 and a Harddrive, it's just not on my agenda at the moment. However it's most definatly something I would want to experiment with and put to some practical use.

Does the MP3 player work good?
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:58 pm
quote : #6
The AR Max Drive comes with a CD-R loader I think. Also I believe there's a MAME for PS2?

maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:49 am
quote : #7
yeah the action replay is great I play genesis games on it ALOT... It also has a media player...
Posted:
Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:47 am
quote : #8
Yeah, I saw MAME for the PS2, and I thought about it, but I couldn't quite find a download in the short amount of time I had to look. The MP3 player I have works great, and I long for the days when MP3s can be read from the HDD, instead of a CDR.

They have Action Replay MAX kits at work for $20 new, so I would get it at a discount, which would be nice. Having the ability to play all DVD regions wouldn't be so bad, as well as being able to boot import games to rip them to the HDD, or boot them in general if they weren't compatible. The only thing that sucks is that I'd have to pull of the drive tray faceplate to do the "knife trick" with AR Max, and since I eventually plan on getting one of these:

I'm not exactly sure how it will look. I'll probably try and set up some kind of slipping switch or something, this way I can keep the nifty clear faceplate on all the time.

On a side note, how do you guys feel the above PS2 case would look with some blue USB lights:

twisting around inside? My PS2 is in a Vertical stand.

On a side note, Nikon, there is a software package floating around on the net that allows you to use a non-Linux PS2 as a webserver. That seems crazy to me, although incredibly awesome. If you ever have any questions or ideas about Hard Drives and PS2s, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.