Topic: dialup gaming from europe?

Page 1 of 1
jools
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I REALLY want to play some PS2 games online.

Can i play the Dialup compatible games if i just buy a network card??? Do i need a pc???

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:12 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Jools do you live in Europe? You live in europe correct?
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:27 pm
quote : #3
Yes, i live in UK (Scotland). I'm sensing bad news. Please don't say i can't play dialup games from here or i need a pc, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:33 pm
quote : #4
Jools i tried sending you an email but i'm not sure if you got it so i decided to repost here as well.

It would seem that the network adaptor onsale in the europe is a broadband only network adaptor. I guess PS2 in europe did not want to deal with dialup users.

Do you currently own a PAL PS2? Or have you not bought one yet?

You could purchase a US network adaptor. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a PAL system. However then the question is, did Playstation of Europe make all PAL games broadband compatible only?

If this is the case then you would have to get a US playstation 2 with a US network adaptor and buy US games in order to play PS2 online over dialup.

Drop me some more information and I'll strategize with you as to what steps you could take to effectivly get online with your PS2.

I did learn however that Tribes Aerial Assault hasn't been released in Europe yet. We have Socom 2 but Socom 1 just got released not to long ago during the EUR launch of 'network' gaming in europe. It seems that european games are seperated from US servers and vise versa. I was speaking to Apple and he said efforts towards playing from the US against a EUR gamer on the fps 'XIII' went unsuccessfull.
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:34 pm
quote : #5
I got your email. Did you get mine?

Your last paragraph really worries me. Does that mean it's impossible to play Eur agains US even if i get US equipment? or are we still on?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:02 pm
quote : #6
jools wrote:
I got your email. Did you get mine?

Your last paragraph really worries me. Does that mean it's impossible to play Eur agains US even if i get US equipment? or are we still on?

Nah I didn't get your email jools :[

Here is the deal. To be the best of my knowledge European online games and USA online games cannot play together....they use different servers. If you buy one or the other than your limited to those people who you can play with. If you buy a USA ps2 you cannot play against a EUR gamer (i know really stupid huh). However the only way you can play online with dialup is by getting a US Playstation 2.

But even still then your limited to those games that have dialup compatibility. So its a tricky situation. Do you currently own a PAL ps2?
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:41 am
quote : #7
That's dire you didn't get my email Sad

I've got a UK PS2 (is that pal?).

So i could still play online if i get a US PS2, but just against US players? That would be fine, i just want a game. Is there a list of dialup compatible games? thanks

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:35 pm
quote : #8
jools wrote:
That's dire you didn't get my email Sad

I've got a UK PS2 (is that pal?).

So i could still play online if i get a US PS2, but just against US players? That would be fine, i just want a game. Is there a list of dialup compatible games? thanks

Yea I would recommend purchasing a US PS2 online bundle. You will only be able to play with users playing on a US PS2. The bundle comes with ATV offroad fury 2 which is dialup compatible, and the demo disc which has some playable demos.

Do you have a NTSC compatible TV? or a convertor?

If you would like to see a list of games that are currently playable online for the PS2 including all of the compatibility features please check the "Current Online Game List". Since your browsing from your dreamcast this can be found in the main navigation under the final link in the list "more...". This will bring up the extended navigation area.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:17 pm
quote : #9
whew! it's still on then? This feels like planning the Italian Job. (the US Job!)

Someone said i can get online with my UK PS2 if i get it 'chipped' and buy a US Network Card. What do you think?

I'm not sure if my tv is NTSC compatible. It's got the scart and s-video inputs. I'll try to find the manual (god help me)

Feeling a bit more hopeful about getting online with my PS2. Confidence levels at 60% (was going critical a few posts ago) thanks, bye

EDIT: I just saw all the dial up compatible games. OMG! i really hope this works out.

EDIT: So will it work with a chipped UK PS2 and a US network adaptor?
I've also found out about "Flip Tops" that would let me play import games without needing my machine chipped. What do you think Nikon???

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:28 pm
quote : #10
I'm not sure about the fliptop I have not personally experimented with ANY import playstation 2 gaming. I can give you no evidence either way that it will work or not work.

Also jools, please try not to double post. If your replying to a thread and one of your replies is the most recent one in the thread. Please use the edit button and then type the word 'EDIT:' and put whatever new information you need to add. Keeps the forums cleaner. Thanx.