Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:25 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Before you get excited, don't. Calm down. It is not what you think. The other day I needed to kill someone. So, I go online to rack up some kills. Guess what? The match-making service was down. This resulted in a timeout response, and then it prompted me with the option of hosting a LAN game. For one, it is nice to know that if you had multiple game consoles connecting on the same local network you could host LAN games with no problem. Meaning the game would locally connect to the other console, rather than going OUT to the match-maker, then back to the router thus getting blocked off. I have heard of a few games doing this.

However, the LAN mode really is hodge podged because you don't get this option until AFTER you get past the DNAS authentication screen. The option to host a LAN game isn't even in the menu structure at all. It's only offered once a master server timeout has occured. Even still, it is not 100% LAN because an internet connection would be required to reach DNAS for you to play against each other with 2 consoles locally.

There is one positive use for this. It's much like Firewarrior, in that it protects us against the publishers.

If Electronic Arts decided to ass ream us, and take MOH Rising Sun offline, we'd still be able to play the game online via services like XLink, as long as the game can still reach DNAS for authentication. MOH Rising Sun is one of the games in EA's lineup that didn't require people to sign up for a user account to login. Possibly because it was online in all territories.

rank 23
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:34 am
quote : #2
Before we get too excited about LAN, maybe we should get it reliably working on a tunnel for us first.

So if you connected to DNAS on both machines, then pulled the plug the replaced it after the timeout, you could geot LAN whenever you want?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:43 am
quote : #3
Apple wrote:
Before we get too excited about LAN, maybe we should get it reliably working on a tunnel for us first.

So if you connected to DNAS on both machines, then pulled the plug the replaced it after the timeout, you could geot LAN whenever you want?

Well, it let me host a game when it couldn't contact the master list. And said the word LAN, I'm pretty sure if the same situation occurred again, another machine on the network would be able to connect to my hosted game.

Uhh you wouldn't need to yank out the cord. Just password the game. Kinda the same way if you wanted to play TribesAA in a LAN interface. You'd just password the game so outside people can't access it.
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:53 pm
quote : #4
Interesting. Well, it's good to hear that there is LAN at all in this game, albeit it being "hidden" past DNAS until the matchmaking service times out on you.
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:11 pm
quote : #5
Also, I'd like to point out MOH Rising Sun scans for local players by default. So it has had LAN all along. It's just that now there is proof, and more than anything, the fact that the game allows you to host a game even if it can't reach the master list. Even when the master list is working if you host a game and password it you'd be able to have local users only connect.

The real shame is that it's not a menu selectable option, and that it's past the DNAS authentication screen.
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:11 pm
quote : #6
It makes sence its done this way, cause Inevitable, the developers of T:AA helped make the online part of MoH:RS.
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:53 pm
quote : #7
DietGarfield wrote:
It makes sence its done this way, cause Inevitable, the developers of T:AA helped make the online part of MoH:RS.

Hmm yea just did some research, turns out members of Inevitable network team did contract work for EA on MOH Rising Sun. Very interesting.

No wonder why MOH Rising Sun runs so smooth online. Laughing
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:40 pm
quote : #8
Rico had asked us about something while he was working on it. I think it was headset stuff, but I'm unsure. You can also notice lobby similarities.

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:11 am
quote : #9
Apple wrote:
Rico had asked us about something while he was working on it. I think it was headset stuff, but I'm unsure. You can also notice lobby similarities.

Yeah, I saw that as soon as I went online in MOH:RS for the first time. It felt really eerie to me, as if some strange mash-up happened to MOH:RS and T:AA's online mode and it threw me off for a moment. I'm over it now, though. Wink
Posted:
Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 am
quote : #10
lets hope team xlink kai revo will host the LAN game.. Wink
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:02 am
quote : #11
snipersnake wrote: