Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

I don't understand why the new first person shooters coming to the ps2 do not have concrete details. The games keep gettng pushed back and little information has been made available about their network features. Many remain a complete mystery in terms of their online mode. One of these games is Cold Winter. We know a lot about Cold Winter's offline campaign and it's amazing physics implimentation. However, little is known of it's online play other than the use of GameSpy as a network package. I have checked the ColdWinter forum section for the last few months and asked questions, which have since been pruned or deleted. Either the developers are just too lazy, or they are really damn busy working on the game. I would assume the later.

Well, finally something has sprung up. They are starting to record developer diaries now. Just yesterday one was posted by Julian Widdows, Development Director at Swordfish Studios. Here is an excerpt:

"Here in Birmingham we’re now a scary ten weeks away from Sony submission and are polishing as hard as we can. Final audio is dropping in. Cinematics are being rendered and rerendered to fix syncing issues, continuity problems, and glitches. The final set-pieces for the levels are being put in position."

I hope they hit their milestones, and we are rewarded with a polished playable game. During that time, I would hope they could fire off a few more journal entries as it gives us gamers a sense of their progress and what features they are working on implimenting since information on Cold Winter has been very scarce.

For more on this diary entry, click here.
If the link doesn't work you can navigate your way through from the starting point here:
http://www.coldwinter.com/community.jsp

rank 24
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:44 pm
quote : #2
Interesting. You have a point there when you say there isn't a lot of info on online features for upcoming FPS games on PS2, and true, it's a bit strange. Even though I'd wish for more information of progress as well, good luck to the developers out there pulling through and polishing their titles. I bet they just don't have time to really give out more details; It sure sounds like they're pretty busy trying to meet the deadline.
Posted:
Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:54 am
quote : #3
yea they mostly just put theoffline details out first
Posted:
Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:36 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
The one thing i wish more fps had, is some split screen online action like tribes.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:15 am
quote : #5
yeah i played tribes online with friends alot a while ago... i agree too bad more games didnt support this like the xbox does.
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:37 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know, the online programers diary entry just got put up. Good stuff, also this game could get delayed. They just got in Beta now. This game is set to release in April, and from what I have read they have been working on making a very quality product. I could easily see a 2 month delay. Hopefully they stay on schedule. Since any more delays in FPS's I might start killing real humans with sporks or something.