Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:16 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Metal Gear Solid 3 is the first game for Playstation 2 to offer downloadable content. You can't include patches because, they are game fixes not new content. Also can't count Socom 2, because you can't actually use the game to sign online and download new content. MGS3 actually allows you to sign online WITH the game and acquire new camoflauge skins. So far in North America, 3 download skins are available: Mummy, Grenades, and Santa. I don't personally own the game, so my good friend Bones was able to supply me with photos of the sign in process in order to download the camo. For those who do have the game and don't have the network adaptor, and those who don't have the game yet, it's nice to see how it works and to get a feel for the menus.

Instead of just posting this in the news, I figured it would be a good idea to post this as the start to a guide. For now it will just include a photo log of the process as well as camo previews. Later text and instructions will be added to accompany the imagery. This can be found right here under tech guides:
http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/cms_view_article.php?aid=32

It is also interesting to note, that Japan is getting more skins than we are at the moment, feature more japanese related ethnic skins that I guess they feel wouldn't appeal to US gamers. All I know is, more options is better, and it would be cool if they spread the wealth around. I think Japan has 2 skins that the US doesn't have right now.

Here are some art shots of the 3 skins currently available for download in the US:

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue May 10, 2005 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:46 am
quote : #2
Ah, this is very nice, I'll try the d/l content feature when I get a chance. I am a little disturbed about the santa camo though. I mean, it's kinda weird seeing St. Nick running around with a tranq gun lol.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:10 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
The 'nade camo is really nice, almost looks 3D!! Can the PS2 do bump-mapping, let alone bump-mapping at such a level?

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:18 pm
quote : #4
Nice to finally see some d/l content for once (thanks nikon for the snaps of the camos). I'm hoping to pick up MGS3 soon and try this out.
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:41 am
quote : #5
ive downloaded all of these. Its nice to have something you can use for replay when you beat the game.
Posted:
Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:45 pm
quote : #6
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
The DL MGS3 camo is definitely a cool feature.

My user name is myspace/hooligan_77 on Star Wars Battlefront.
Star Wars Battlefront and PSU are the only games I play online currently for my PS2.
snipersnake
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:35 am
quote : #7
still waiting for MORE