Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:39 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok here is my dilemma. I have been waiting to buy a new FPS for my PS2 for over 6 months. I'm going out of my fucking mind. Area 51 and Cold Winter still arn't coming out for another 20-30 days.

When it comes time to buy Area 51 or Cold Winter, I don't think I will have enough money to buy those games right off the bat. I might....or I might not...

I have some bills to pay and I am really strapped for cash.

I can order Project Snowblind right now for $32.90 brand new sealed.

Do you think I should take the opportunity to buy this game now? Or wait, risking the chance of not having enough money to buy a new FPS at all, until mid-summer.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:34 am
quote : #2
Honestly, I'd wait and get Battlefield: Modern Combat. I say this as an extremel content beta tester. Although, I will be quite disappointed if they fix the parachute "problem."

To hold you off until then, play XIII, Warhammer, and Timesplitters 2 with me! (After April though because any gaming chance I get is going to Modern Combat. I haven't liked an online game so much since Tribes.)

There's currently no locked servers on Project Snowblind, but I would definitely rent first.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:00 am
quote : #3
Actually, that's one reason why TimeSplitters Future Perfect isn't in my equation because, I can get that whenever. Since we can play TS2 together and I have that game for offline and even map making. So TS3 is sorta like an upgrade. I do plan to get it, but the fact that I have TS2 already makes it really easy to chill on that release.

In the meantime I plan on playing a lot of TribesAA and Twisted Metal Black Online.

As far as Battlefield Modern Combat, that game doesn't interest me AT ALL.

The bread and butter of my FPS action comes from fast paced classic FPS action, such as UT, Q3, Tribes, AVP2, etc etc.

Battlefield Modern Combat is too tactical for me, and the overall look and feel of that game bores me. I tend to gravitate towards futuristic games with crazy weaponry and graphical style. This is a huge reason why I am so into the Armored Core series for instance. I would never wait in anticipation for Battlefield Modern Combat, in-fact it's a game that I would just tack onto my collection similar to RS3, XIII etc etc. It's not something I am overly excited about. I'm not knocking BF:MC. I'm sure it has amazing gameplay elements, and a lot to offer other people. But very little offer me individually.

Also toss into the equation that, I am already spazzing out having to wait this long to get a new FPS, Modern Combat isn't coming out until November. Another long wait is not something I want to endure.

What about locked servers on Snowblind? (locked?)

I'm gonna go watch some more videos of Snowblind.
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:39 pm
quote : #4
I detest Project: Snowblind. That game was extremely glitchy in addition to the rude community. I'd be gloomy if you ended up buying Snowblind and felt unsatisified despite my warnings.

Save your $32.90 for something you truly want instead of an impulse buy. Or now that I think about it, maybe you should get Star Wars: Battlefront.

And I have to agree with Apple about Battlefield: Modern Combat. The game graphically didn't look like my cup of tea, and it still really doesn't pull my strings the way a futuristic shooter does, but it's quite enjoyable online. I haven't caught any lag whatsoever, and this is just from an alpha test. Shocked

Note: Wonderful new banner in the FPS section.

-Mytho
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm
quote : #5
Ok first let my start off by saying, I just purchased Project Snowblind Wink

I bought the game for 32.90 + shipping, which was only $1.99

So in the end I got the game for $34.89. You have to admit, that is a really damn good price. Especially considering the game just recently came out. Also, when speaking with lanz he brought up the good point that I probobly wouldn't be able to find this game at this price again for another few months.

Next I will address some of mytho's comments.

You know what, you are right, I should have bought Star Wars Battlefront. I have been wanting this game very badly. However there is one problem. This game does NOT want to drop in price. The cheapest I can find it for is 45.00+5.00 SH. I do not have 50.00 to spend on another game right now. I just recently bought Thunder Force V for PS1 for $35.00 sealed (this is a steal). Then I ordered a Dreamcast Fishing controller, which was not essential, but I had tacked it on with an order for Dynamite Cop for 10.00, turns out they had no more new copies of Dynamite cop...so I they just sent out the controller. It's official sega brand fishing controller brand new, got it for 10.00 after SH(not bad). Then I also put in my Pre-Order for Trizeal, that is $59.90.

If Star Wars Battlefront was available for 35.00 after SH, then I would have clearly bought that instead. I will definatly be buying this game since it has dedicated server support and LAN. It's top on my list, believe me. Just dying for it to go down in price. My brother and I are huge star wars fans and as soon as he gets it as well were are going to have some serious LAN throwdowns.

Now, onto Project Snowblind. #1 thing here for me is that this game has LAN. Me and my brother and other people can hook up systems locally and sneak around killing each other. Also it means I can tunnel it. The fact that I am investing money into a game that I can literally tinker with network wise forever, is a huge deal for me.

Out of all the FPS's coming out, this is the one game I wanted to play through its single player mode. With Area 51, Cold Winter, and TS3 those games for me are ALL about the multiplayer. I really don't care too much to play through their single player campaigns. Area 51 I probobly will, but it's not something on my list of things to do.

I'm not buying Project Snowblind for it's online gameplay alone like some other games.

I live for futuristic games that tickle my pickle. I really want to just get into this game's single player experience and go on a crazy FPS romp.

Because of these factors, I feel that the $34.89 I paid for it was a solid deal, and I will get what I wanted from the game. Single Player, LAN, and some online.

As far as what happens when I encounter online, I'm no stranger to dealing with adverse network conditions. Hell, Mytho you and I have experienced the mother of online lag monstrocities....Rainbow Six 3. Yea I can deal with the fact that if there are 12-16 player games it gets laggy....if I can run 8 player games with little to no lag...that is fine for me. There are a lot of factors when it comes to lag. To put it bluntly, most people have shit upstream. Match making lists, aka p2p host gaming is stupid, and usually results in degraded performance when someone with 15-20kb's upstream is trying to host a game. I'm aware there are some problems with the eidos clan stuff regarding Snowblind. They did get the stats up for the PS2 version which is great, and I heard they are working on resolving the clan problem.

All of this stuff really doesn't phase me. Because in the end I know I could tunnel the game with 4 friends and have a blast.

The fact that this power is within my control is a huge selling point for me.

If anyone else who comes across this thread is interested go to:
www.gogamer.com

They are selling Project Snowblind for 32.90, and you can order up to 2 games and get the dirt cheap $1.99 shipping.
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:10 pm
quote : #6
The single-player is many times better than the online, so take heart in knowing you'll be getting a decent single-player game. Heck, if you end up not enjoying yourself, you can always sell it and make a pretty nice deal.

-Mytho
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:45 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Battlefield Modern Combat is too tactical for me, and the overall look and feel of that game bores me. I tend to gravitate towards futuristic games with crazy weaponry and graphical style. This is a huge reason why I am so into the Armored Core series for instance. I would never wait in anticipation for Battlefield Modern Combat, in-fact it's a game that I would just tack onto my collection similar to RS3, XIII etc etc. It's not something I am overly excited about. I'm not knocking BF:MC. I'm sure it has amazing gameplay elements, and a lot to offer other people. But very little offer me individually.

Now you see, normally I'd be in full agreement. I don't really like Socom and it's friends. Modern Combat however feels completely different. It's fast class-oriented action with vehicles. Sure it's tactical, but in the sense that Tribes is too. It feels fast with the respawning. The vehicles and stuff give it a good mix of classic FPS, but expanded to a little bit different gameplay. It may not be what you like, but I'm extremely impressed with it. There's a ton of action in it and stuff is always blowing up. Maybe I just like it because there's helicopters.

As to "locked" servers, I meant there are no passworded servers.

I know you love LAN and for good reason, but how often do you actually use it? Just curious.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:35 pm
quote : #8
Ahh ok, yea i was reading about it not having password lock functions for private games. Well, that doesn't bother me that much because worse comes to worse can use XLink or GIT a game to run some private matches.

As far as how much I use LAN, its really something that becomes more accessable with time. Which is why I value it so much. For instance with us tunneling TimeSplitters 2. It sort of took us a while to figure that stuff out. Before it was like some forbidden fruit we hadn't tasted yet, but now we can boot up and do it anytime we want now. With ease I might add.

Locally system linking consoles is something that I plan on doing more in the future with my brother and Kontact if he gets another PS2. Me and Kontact are supposed to setup for some local splinter cell 2. (that's if he gets another ps2)

My brother didn't have a car for a long time, had to share one with his gf. And he works fulltime so getting away to come over here and chill wasn't easy before. but now he has access to a second car. So he will be able to bring over his PS2 and we are going to be doing a lot of I.LINK and LANing tribes and ac:nexus.

Another thing that will let me do a lot more LAN, is when I get a second PS2. Same thing with my gamecube. And it takes a little money to do that.

I value LAN so much because it lets me take my time and gives me options. Options that can be performed on my own watch, and not some companies.

This summer I will be doing a lot with LAN. Going to probably buy a spare PS2 and get another TV to replace my secondary ghetto one.