1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

At TGS(Tokyo Game Show), Sony held a press conferance during the first day concerning Gran Turismo 4. Lets cut to the chase. They announced online will NOT be included with Gran Turismo 4. Shocking news and a crushing blow to the PS2 online lineup. This would have ben the killer app in the PS2 online arsenal. Instead sony has decided to add online to a new Gran Turismo game slated for release in 2005. However this is too late. If sony is going to be announcing the PS3 at E32005, the GTOnline release will be at the very end of the PS2's commercial lifecycle. TO us, this really isn't a big deal, since we all take games for what they are. A good game is a good game no matter when its released. However now the idea of Gran Turismo online will lose its luster, and will not make the commercial impact it would have, had they released it as a component in GT4.

Gran Turismo 4 now has an official released date set for December 3rd in Japan, and December 14th for North America & Europe.

For those gamers who were really counting on the online gameplay in GT4, TOCA Race Driver 2: The Ultimate Racing Simulator, slated for an early October release, has just skyrocketed to the front of their purchase list. At a modest $29.99, TOCA 2 gives a solid substitute on the PS2 for online sim racing.

However even after all this, one question still lingers. What about i.link or LAN for GT4? The original Gran Turismo 3 featured i.link. It was a major feature in the game and a lot of dedicated GT fans put it to some serious use. Gran Turismo 4 runs the risk of not having ANY local network options at all. Which to me is an even more crushing blow to the game, since it would infact be a lost feature that the original Gran Turismo 3 actually had. Now that newer model PS2's don't have any i.link functionality, and the online modes are being scrapped entirely from GT4. The game now runs the risk of being completly void of all network functions entirely.

This is both a huge loss to Gran Turismo fans, and online racing fans alike.

rank 15
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:06 am
quote : #2
This is terrible news. Even though Sony mainly just lets third-party developers run the show on the online games that come to the system, they [Sony] need to put some effort into it and please gamers alike that want these options avaliable in the game. We are the paying customers, so why don't they go with what we want and not theirs? It doesn't make much sense. In this case it seems as if they want to slowly fade the PS2 all together as E3 2005 comes so they can hype the PS3 and detour peoples attention to that. Still, it sucks over all, I was really looking foward to this game. Sad

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:23 am
quote : #3
All I know is, I won't let sony treat me like this. Personally, they will do whatever it takes to keep the cash flow rolling in. I love my PS2 and love pimping it out with awsome games. However I'm not gonna fall for their marketing tactics. I'm not just some sheep to be hearded around and wait on every waking breath for their first party games.

With sony basically lieing to use with Socom 2's download content, the removal of i.link and HD functionality from newer PS2 console models, killzone losing LAN, and now no online play for GT4, I have little faith in sony at the moment to come through on quality online stuff. I'm not going to blindly buy these products just because sony starts cruising the hype-mobile in circles around my house.

Now I am looking completly to 3rd party developers, waiting to see what they can do with the PS2.

At the moment TOCA 2 is looking mighty tasty to me at the moment.
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:21 am
quote : #4
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no online....This was one of the features that was going to make this game stand out... I was possibly goin to pick this up along the road when a price drop hit but now i don't think i will.
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:23 am
quote : #5
dang that sucks i bought my modem and all that stuff mostly for gt4 i even have 3 meg internet service all just waiting for gt4 now i guess ill just have to play nfsu 2 online.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:32 am
quote : #6
You'd think that since Sony is money hungry, they'd leave the online function in, thus making it so people who do not own a network adapter go and buy one for this game. More or less, Sony has a major attitude problem right now.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:36 am
quote : #7
it almost sems like sony doesnt know what they are doing and are moving down hill.
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am
quote : #8
Mir_wan wrote:
it almost sems like sony doesnt know what they are doing and are moving down hill.

They are more focused on the PSP and worried about the DS as it's competition. This is probably why Sony released that thin PS2 for $150 at the start of November so people would want to spend their $150 on it instead of the DS. Well, that's just my theory, but it's Sony's fault for not getting it into gear.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:07 am
quote : #9
* i agree with you completely... the PSP hype... Isn't it goin to be around $400.. is what some of the rumors are.. since it can play movies and will have online play. Hopefully Ps3 production wont be forgotten about by sony
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:43 am
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
At the moment TOCA 2 is looking mighty tasty to me at the moment.

TOCA 2 is one of my favorite racing sims.

One of the features is how it doesn't focus on one type of racing, but includes a variety of styles (Including..... racing the cabs of 18 Wheelers in Africa. I didn't make this up.). Every type of vehicle has a distinct handling system, so if you relied on gunning it through the straightaways and braking at the last second in the GT class, you'll have to pace yourself when competing in the Classic series (since the older cars cannot brake as fast/do not have ABS).

It's great for someone like myself who isn't that interested in the specifics of cars, but enjoys a rich (and varied) racing game.

-Mytho
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:41 am
quote : #11
god fucking damnit. thats part of the reason i even bought a god damn online adapter. im a little ticked.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Sephiroth Sin
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:05 pm
quote : #12
seriously. fuck sony. the ps2 is definitely the last SONY console i will ever buy. they are either seriously money hungry(wanting to get it released for the holiday season to cash in, then a month later release the exact same game only with online play) or just asleep at the wheel... either one wouldnt suprise me.
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:26 pm
quote : #13
holy shit i can't beleve this boy when i read this i almost yelled but seriously thats insane how could they not put online into this gee if 3 was online id be playin it now but i jus feel bored only havin cpu's to race and fixin and crap on cars but if only 4 would still be slated for online it would make me feel more proud of the machine I"ve built on but now whos gonna witness its power some1 from in ma hood?nope,family?nope,they could care less but geez said things must turn out this way Sad
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:46 pm
quote : #14
I've never played a Gran Tourismo game, but I was definatly gonna get this game because of the online. But now? Bah, screw you Sony. Nikon, you're right, we have to depend upon the 3rd parties now...

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:07 pm
quote : #15
this was was really anticipated for its online play.. the sales might be alot less now.