Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
In a lot of ways I look at Auto Modellista as a game that is from the days of the Dreamcast, but on the PS2 platform. And yes I know this game was released for other systems as well....however the PS2 version is special.

A very minor minor point is that the game was developed by capcom who released a lot of exclusives on the DC.

On to more hardcore stuff. The Dreamcast pioneered cellshaded graphics with Jet Grind Radio(JSR). So this game is an instant homage back to the DC.

Then the PS2 version of the game uses SegaSNAP network software which is what almost all dreamcast online games used for their online gameplay.

Also since the game is cellshaded, it looks a lot like how a dreamcast game would look regardless of wether it was cellshaded or not. The Dreamcast never really produced many shadows. They usually took their form in actual textures mapped on objects to look like shadows rather than actual complex lighting. So when you play Auto Modellista you get the overall feeling of the dc's graphics as well.

So this game....to me atleast when I play it...feels like I'm playing a Dreamcast game. Not sure if anyone else gets this feeling . All I know is, I for one do.
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:03 pm
quote : #2
Thats aswome... thats answrers why the online part of the game uses sega's snap.
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:18 pm
quote : #3
Yeah, I get that feeling too. I kinda like it.
MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:30 pm
quote : #4
and dont forget the in game web site. thats sooo dreamcast.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:54 pm
quote : #5
So, would you venture to say Auto Modellista was originally planned to appear on the...Dreamcast? (shudder)

Capcom was definitely one of the Dreamcast's biggest supporters, so that seems very plausible to me. I don't have the game yet, but it's on my list to get. Does it happen to use any of the traditional Dreamcast development tools like Softdec? Seeing those credits at the start of a game is a sure sign it was developed with the Dreamcast in mind.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:05 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Er lol. Wait everyone. I wasn't saying this was a game scheduled for release on the Dreamcast, and then it was brought to the PS2. All I am saying is, Auto Modellista has the Dreamcast spirit in it. And when I play it seems as if I am playing a dreamcast game. And yes it does have the softdec codec stuff on it as well. Who knows maybe capcom WAS working on it for the DC roughly. No idea.

All I am saying is this game feels just like a Dreamcast experience. Just that its on ps2 hehe. Mr. Green
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:20 pm
quote : #7
Now that I think about it, yeah, Auto Modellista does indeed feel like a Dreamcast game on PS2. I also like it, especially since my DC hasn't been treated with the same respect as my PS2 ever since I got it. (I need to start playing DC games again.)

MasterChief wrote:
and dont forget the in game web site. thats sooo dreamcast.

Oh, yes. Flashbacks to the PlanetWeb browsers... Wink
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:56 pm
quote : #8
yeah when you g to sign in online it feels very much like the web browser for dc
Posted:
Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:46 pm
quote : #9
lol. Lordnikon, don't worry, I know you're not saying it was originally targeted as a Dreamcast game. It was just a little theorizing and a shot in the dark on my part. I haven't seen much of Auto Modellista in action, but knowing Capcom was such a big supporter of Dreamcast led me down that path. I need to find a copy for my PS2.

I doubt anyone will ever find an unreleased GD-R of Auto Modellista for Dreamcast, but just in case, there's a fresh $5 bill in it for the person who releases it.

Razz