Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:27 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

US Shores will finally receive what Japan has had for sometime now, the PS2 HDD(Hard Disc Drive), which expands the PS2's online and multimedia abilities.

The HDD will come pre-installed with Square Enix's massively multi-player online role-playing game, Final Fantasy XI. Game demos and previews are to be included as well on the hard drive. The HDD will also allow gamers to rip music from cd's to the ps2, allowing you to set up custom playlists. There is also a Photo Manager, for you edit and store personal photos on the HDD.

Also new upcoming games will take advantage of the HDD to receive new content. 2 of the first games to utilize content downloads, will be SOCOM II and Syphon Filter: Omega Strain.

"With the battle for console supremacy decided, we are departing from the status quo in an effort to broaden the in-home entertainment market with the release of the Hard Disk Drive for PlayStation 2," said Andrew House, executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment America.

The internal HDD will function on both broadband and dial-up networks and is placed inside the expansion bay of the PS2. It connects attaches itself to the officual Sony Network Adaptor.

The HDD will be released in March of 2004 at a price of $99.00 along with FF-XI pre-installed. The US version allows players from both PS2 and PC version to join and play the same servers. The online fee for the game is $12.95 per month, with a 30 days free trial.

Authors Comment: All I have to say is, thank you sony!, for going against the 'status quo', as you stated. US gamers have been craving the HD upgrade for quite sometime now. It's music, gaming, and multi-media features will make the PS2 a far more interactive console. Gamers in japan are receiving new downloadable online multi-player games, such as puzzle games, along with new content regularly.

Just think how usefull this would have been when I was moving into college at the start of the year, not to long ago. Instead of having to drag my entire computer to school the first weekend, I would have just brought a PS2. Beats, Games, and Online Gaming all in one portable machine.

rank 16
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:20 am
quote : #2
dose that mean i dont have to buy anymore memory cards? hooray for me. its just that i like to save the more fun missions form my favorite games. i already have 3 of those little bastards.
also, an employee at gamestop told me that with the HD, youll be able to download drivers for some games, making the graphics better. thatll be uber sweet.
man, with how sony supports its products, im so going with the ps3. i am NOT buying whatever bill gates and nintendo throw at me next.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:49 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
There has been no information indicating that you can use the HDD as an alternative to a memory card. And this employee at gamestop, talking about downloading drivers, to improve graphics, that's completly false information.

Certain games will feature downloadable content such as patches, new maps, and new game features to expand gameplay.