1, 2  Next
DietGarfield
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6918/Play-Halo-on-Xbox-with-a-Keyboard-Mouse

thats a link i found, basicly saying that theyre making a keyboard and mouse for the PS2 and XBOX. I dont think this is right, because this is making a console too much like a PC.

if i want a KB/M then id upgrade my graphics card and get Doom 3.

Soon, everyones going to be using a KB/M and people like me will be using the controler.

opinions?
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:58 pm
quote : #2
I think a keyboard is the only thing you need, and that for CHATTING only, playing with it seems just stupid, even more so when playing with a controller is usually easier

PS2 only reads Tribes right now...
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:58 pm
quote : #3
i hope not all games are compatable with this. I was glad to see games where you have to use the controller
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:07 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well for one I have to point out how this will work. Remember this is going to map the analog functions to the mouse. Meaning games like MOH Rising Sun, and XIII will have "wierddddddddd" mouse movements. Only games with full 360 degree butter smooth aiming along with sensitivity controls will allow for proper use of this device.

I think a lot of diehard console gamers....like using a controller. Setting up a mouse and keyboard would be a chore. The people that will be buying this are PC gamers and younger gamers who refuse to lose. Who will do whatever it takes to win and treat online games as a stomping grounds for their insecurities in life.

Now in Socom you won't just have people cheating...they'll be cheating while playing with a mouse and keyboard.

This will mainly effect FPS games as well. Racing games or action shooter games like Twisted Metal Black Online won't get effected. However in the end I think this is bad in general for online console gaming because it throws a wrench into the gears. It will cause problems.

One must wonder....how many TribesAA snipers will start buying this device for steady aiming during snipes.

It's definatly gonna start causing some problems, however I don't think it would effect OC much at all. Since as far as I know. Everyone here is pretty darn comfortable using a controller. And having to pull out some makeshift desk to use a mouse and keyboard on the PS2 is a real hassle.
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:12 pm
quote : #5
Nikon, i love you.

and how would this work? sitting on the floor? putting the keyboard on your lap? making a desk to clutter the already cluttered room?

i like my controler Sad
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #6
i agree using a kb/m for gaming is to annoying,its hard to turn round in fps's,and it really starts to hurt hand after a while so I'll always stick wit da controller
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:41 pm
quote : #7
DietGarfield wrote:
and how would this work? sitting on the floor? putting the keyboard on your lap? making a desk to clutter the already cluttered room?

yea this is the main reason why using a mouse and keyboard on a console is counter productive. I actually have a box out with a piece of cardboard on it specifically for Dreamcast and UT on the PS2. (analog controls on UT PS2 is complete trash). Some sort of perminant setup would be just insane. And a temporary one has to be small enough and high enough to get tucked away and still not kill your wrists.

Cause playing directly on the floor will cripple your wrists.

I am lucky for my DC and PS2 I have mini-sized keyboards. So it's a huge space saver and I can play on a rather small box rather than requiring some larger platform to hold a full sized keyboard. And I actually play UT on dreamcast....I already beat through the PS2 version and just have it for if when me and my bro want to play i.link games.
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:54 pm
quote : #8
ahhh i still think this isnt a good thing....it would be ok for offline games. i know some people who ae stat hungry will use this for as many kills as possible casue i know it is easier to aim with a keyboard and mouse.. but i think it is important to use a controller with console gaming... IF you wanna use a kb and mouse buy the game for pc.

like i said before i hope online games dont support a kb and mouse
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:05 am
quote : #9
this was really big news with halo tunnelers. this would make the pistol even more dominant than it already is. and make it damn near impossable to get out an entrenched blood gultch sniper.

i am personally against it. the reason that pc halo is no fun is because of the above mentioned reasons. i can only imagine what the implications for socom are.

this is gonna suck....

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:11 am
quote : #10
ahh this is bad the article says this will be used for halo 2....damn
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:58 pm
quote : #11
I have a keyboard and mouse for Dreamcast, and I would like to have them for my PS2 also. I strictly use the keyboard and mouse for in-game chatting, for example in Phantasy Star Online, or 4X4 Evo's chat room, or for web surfing. I don't use the mouse and keyboard setup for gaming controls, because I really believe in having everyone on a level playing field.

Since the Dreamcast has only one analog stick, it's not setup as well as the PS2, XBox, or Gamecube for FPS games, but you know what? I use the Dreamcast controller anyway for Quake, UT, and other FPS games. Yeah, I get my ass handed to me sometimes by players with a steady hand and a mouse, but I'd rather work on improving my skills with a Dreamcast controller. If I need to play with a mouse and keyboard, there's plenty to choose from on my PC. Unfortunately, not everyone will stick with their controllers for in-game play, and that's a shame.

The PS2 sans multi-taps is kind of challenged for control ports. I'd really like seeing a wireless keyboard and mouse setup for the PS2. One doesn't exist yet, does it? Forgive me if that's a dumb question. I've been online with my PS2 just over a week now, so I've never had a need to even look at keyboards and anything online related yet.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:22 pm
quote : #12
kingofgrills wrote:
I have a keyboard and mouse for Dreamcast, and I would like to have them for my PS2 also. I strictly use the keyboard and mouse for in-game chatting, for example in Phantasy Star Online, or 4X4 Evo's chat room, or for web surfing. I don't use the mouse and keyboard setup for gaming controls, because I really believe in having everyone on a level playing field.

Since the Dreamcast has only one analog stick, it's not setup as well as the PS2, XBox, or Gamecube for FPS games, but you know what? I use the Dreamcast controller anyway for Quake, UT, and other FPS games. Yeah, I get my ass handed to me sometimes by players with a steady hand and a mouse, but I'd rather work on improving my skills with a Dreamcast controller. If I need to play with a mouse and keyboard, there's plenty to choose from on my PC. Unfortunately, not everyone will stick with their controllers for in-game play, and that's a shame.

The PS2 sans multi-taps is kind of challenged for control ports. I'd really like seeing a wireless keyboard and mouse setup for the PS2. One doesn't exist yet, does it? Forgive me if that's a dumb question. I've been online with my PS2 just over a week now, so I've never had a need to even look at keyboards and anything online related yet.

Keyboards, for chatting, plug into the USB ports, as do mice if the game supports it. The adapter linked in the parent post will allow a PS/2 (NOT PS2) keyboard and PS/2 mouse to be hooked up to one controller port. It CANNOT be used for chat though, so you'll essentially need two keyboards if you like to chat, and that'll get confusing quickly. I was thinking about getting this, just to see how well it worked, but it would be unfair to those that play fairly...

kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:03 pm
quote : #13
Hey, thanks for the clarification on that. I almost forgot the PS2 has USB ports in it. Wow, if a controller port keyboard is only good for gaming, and a USB keyboard is only good for chatting, I don't really see a need for a controller port keyboard.

I'll just get a USB keyboard and mouse and call it good. Will any USB keyboard and mouse work, or is there something unique to PS2?

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:10 pm
quote : #14
kingofgrills wrote:
Hey, thanks for the clarification on that. I almost forgot the PS2 has USB ports in it. Wow, if a controller port keyboard is only good for gaming, and a USB keyboard is only good for chatting, I don't really see a need for a controller port keyboard.

I'll just get a USB keyboard and mouse and call it good. Will any USB keyboard and mouse work, or is there something unique to PS2?

Just a standard USB mouse and keyboard will do the trick. I've found, however, that FFXI gave me trouble when i used an adapter with a PS/2 keyboard, but no other game did. It now works perfectly with my true USB keyboard. Using the same adapter, I couldn't get any of my games to recognize the mouse, and I don't have a true USB mouse to try it with.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:52 pm
quote : #15
Er well, KingofGrills.....not all games support mouse and keyboard. Most games do not support the Mouse. A few offline FPS's use the mouse, and FFXI uses the mouse.