Page 2 of 2
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:59 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Most IDE hard drives work with HDLoader, but the PS2 using it's normal bootup can only recognise HDDs up to 127GB. Subtrract the 2 gig system file required by HDLoader, and you've got a maximum of 125 gigs for PS2 games. Homebrew titles with homebrew loaders will generally recognise any standard IDE HDD as well.

The only reason you would need to buy an original HDD is if you wished to use official PS2 software s\uch as FFXI, SoCom 2 maps, RE:O partial install, and backing up save games. My official Sony 40GB PS2 HDD fills up really quickly even without FFXI (8GB) installed, so if you were looking to use HDLoader as opposed to homebrew programs you may want to go the cheap 120GB HD route, as opposed to buying a used official 40-gigger one like I did.

It would be nice to find a place to buy HDDs alone, but other than buying a used bundle from Ebay, or just biting the bullet and dropping $80 on FFXI new, you'll probably not find it alone unnless you get really lucky.

snipersnake
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:47 am
quote : #17
so can i uese it for storing games???
McRing_Ring
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:05 pm
quote : #18
snipersnake wrote:
so can i uese it for storing games???

yes, you can copy game files from your memory card to the HDD, note however not many games will treat it like a memory card where you can load and save directly to the HDD.

Once a week you can just copy all your saves to the HDD to back it up Wink

PS2 only reads Tribes right now...