Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:11 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Well the official release date from capcom is November 12th 2003 for Biohazard Outbreak(aka Resident Evil Outbreak). This is for the japanese release of the game.

After investigating their website it states that it will cost 900 yen per month for "Multiple matching BB utilization charge". This is what babelfish altavista translator outputted. To me this means mullti player broadband networking. Meaning, yes a fee to play the game online.

If this translation is wrong, please, prove me wrong...I want to be proven wrong.

If capcom intends to charge monthly fee's in the United States for this game, I have no choice not to buy the game. I shouldn't have to pay money just to connect directly to my friend over the internet to play 2 player co-op online. I jsut can't afford to pay every single game development company a monthly fee to play their game online. This is ludicrious.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:37 am
quote : #2
DAMN STRAIT!!! i dont think its cool for game companys to charge for services. i mean, MMORPG's i can understand, those im sure are huge undertakings and take real effort to maintain. but for a FPS or RE game? screw that. i think thats a service that the game developers should provide its loyal customers. its not the casual gamers going online with these titles, its the true fans. thats why ill never pay for xbox live unless it gets down to like a quarter a month. thats why im attracted to ps2, its still largely free.

while were on the subject, i herd that socom's free because sony turns arround and sells your info to every telemarketer it can get its hands on. anyone know this to be true?

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:01 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
masterchief wrote:
I think thats a service that the game developers should provide Its loyal customers.

Exactly, this is how the PC gaming industry has been running for years and years. Online gaming features SELL MORE UNITS. The features are there to add a more robust gaming experience for those paying for the games. It keeps people coming back for more.

And to answer your reference to socom not costing money. Sony is not charging money because they don't need to, a triple A title like socom, sells games, and sells broadband adaptors. People under-estimate that online gaming really doesn't cost THAT much money. Official Unreal Tournament Servers for the PC version runs tons of servers for its gamers, at no cost to the end user. There really is no need for sony to add a fee to socom, throw the server's up, hire a in house technication, pay a flat rate bandwidth fee and your done.

MMPORPG's cost money because they are ever evolving worlds, new game content, maps, items, and server upgrades take place daily/weekly for such games. A fee for online RPG's is well within reason.

Companies charging to connect to their server, just so you can connect and play a co-op game against 1-4 friends, are basically pulling a fast one on their customers while making a quick buck.