1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:57 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

As you've probobly already heard, Electronic Arts bought sole rights to the NFL for the next 5 years. This includes teams, stadiums, and players. The only game formats not included are mobile phones, and internet based games(flash). I'll just cut strait to the chase. This is HORRIBLE. The only way this looks positive is in the minds of those on wallstreet. EA made a cut throat business decision, and cornered the market. Good for them, very very bad for us. To gamers this is a debocle. Even the most diehard EA/Madden gamer is negatively effected by this. Let me explain...

Electronic Arts now has ZERO competition in NFL Football games, they own the rights. So what is there to motivate them to make better video games? Sega was really breathing down EA's necks with their ESPN NFL franchise. Instead of working on way's to make the Madden franchise better, they just bought their competition out of the market. In the grand scheme of things they made a swift and smart business decision. However in terms of industry creative competition, this indicates not only weakness, but a lack of motivation to improve. Now that they have cornered the market, where is the motivation? Where is the motivation to make Madden and NFL Street better video games?

Now lets just say the same Madden game comes out year after year. A consumer, like yourself thinks, "I could just get Madden 2006, or keep playing Madden 2005 and just be satisfied if EA doesn't want to put time and effort into making their games unique enough to warrent shelling out another 49.99 each year. So I'll just stick with this copy, and play that." Sadly EA has the upper hand on your wallet as well, that is if your an online gamer. All EA has to do, is take the previous version of the game offline in order to make you upgrade to the latest 'build' of the game. (I say build because in all honesty the jumps from game to game on sports games today really are more like version builds than new games. They just have 2005....2006 on them, than v1.0, v2.0 etc etc.)

Last but not least if you want Professional Simulation Football, your stuck with Madden. Your stuck with Madden not just now...your stuck with it for the Next 5 years. Which means when Next Gen consoles role around you'll still only have Madden. The only NFL launch title football games for ALL of the next gen platforms will be: Madden.

The one consoling fact for gamers out there wanting realistic football, is there's always college football.

I don't even play NFL Football games on current systems. Many of you know this so your probobly wondering why I am speaking out so prominantly on this subject. The fact is, this is a sign of the times. This deal is starting to show that money, not creativity, is taking complete grasp of a hobby we all love. Up until now and in its infancy the video games market was one where developers were able to put out creative products. We, the gamers were able to play them, and experience their efforts. Slowly but surely the art of making a video game and competing to create stronger more worthwhile subject matter is being snuffed out by companies like EA who's only concern is the bottom doller.

Game consoles are turning into "media centers". Mainstream media outlets like the Spike VG Awards are setup to bring an MTV'esque marketing technique to the masses. Arcades are dying out. Sony is able to sell defective hardware, repeatedly to the same customer. Companies like MS and EA are buying their way through the industry rather than putting in the creative work to earn their place.

I would rather see developers competing to out-do each other in creativity, than to have companies competing on the best methods to con the consumer.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:21 pm
quote : #2
While I agree that this is part-"EA making a greedy business decision," I would also have to personally blame the NFLPA for going through with this deal. This is a negative mark on their part as well, since only EA would have the rights to NFL-anything. No more profit, promotion, etc. from any other company, including Sega with their ESPN line of games.

In all essence, almost everyone loses with this deal. Except EA.
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:30 pm
quote : #3
From all the talk i've seen (mostly on 1up) a lot of diehard EA fans don't like it theres even a petition going on (good luck , is all I have to say considering all the sega/dc petitions ) to many boycotting all of ea's products the only option that made some sense to me was to buy the games either pre-owned or wait for the price to come down .
I'm not even a sports gamer , and it bugs me. Sad
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:44 am
quote : #4
Oh well, EA can basicly do anything since they are the #1 publisher Rolling Eyes But like it or not, we really don't have any say. Buy the games to pay their wages is all EA cares about.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:57 am
quote : #5
In some ways I have realised this is a plus. Sorta. Well EA also owns liscenses to other sports as well. Like soccer. Which is why you only see Fifa. Winning Eleven is all non liscensed which I never knew. And that game is crazy popular.

In some ways this will cause developers to take risks they NEVER would have taken before because they are now out from underneath the protective sheath of selling a game with liscensed teams. One such game is the new Blitz game from midway. Which I will be making a news post on. They are supposed to be making it crazier than ever before. Something they obviously would never have done had they still had the liscense to nba players.

So I guess in some ways this is infact returning the development of video games in the purest forum, to their roots. Making a game with just awsome gameplay, and innovative game material as well.

I hope the non-liscensed games rise forth and maintain a strong pressence in the industry despite the absence of official teams and players.
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:37 pm
quote : #6
This stinks. ESPN football finally surpassed Madden in quality, so EA got scared and pulled a Microsoft. Many of the game reviewers this year admitted that ESPN 2K5 was the top game, and with their smart $19.99 price point they were making progress on market share. This maneuver will throw all of that great work out the window.

Personally, I don't upgrade every year like clockwork, so I've been playing NFL 2K3, which is still awesome, but that game is no longer playable online. Because of online play, I was going to upgrade to 2K5. If Sega's hands are tied due to losing the NFL license, how long do you think they will continue to support 2K4 and 2K5 online?

Sadly, given their history, they probably will not support them online very long.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:08 pm
quote : #7
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!WHHHHHHHHHYYYYY
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:36 pm
quote : #8
i do not like this... i favored the ESPN NFL game over madden.... this is bad for SEGA
Posted:
Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:41 am
quote : #9
kingofgrills wrote:
This stinks. ESPN football finally surpassed Madden in quality, so EA got scared and pulled a Microsoft. Many of the game reviewers this year admitted that ESPN 2K5 was the top game, and with their smart $19.99 price point they were making progress on market share. This maneuver will throw all of that great work out the window.

Personally, I don't upgrade every year like clockwork, so I've been playing NFL 2K3, which is still awesome, but that game is no longer playable online. Because of online play, I was going to upgrade to 2K5. If Sega's hands are tied due to losing the NFL license, how long do you think they will continue to support 2K4 and 2K5 online?

Sadly, given their history, they probably will not support them online very long.

I bet NFL 2K5 stays online for a while. Seeing as how it will be their only officially liscensed online NFL title, for the next 5 years. It might mean the game stays online longer than it ever would have because of this.
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:20 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
I bet NFL 2K5 stays online for a while. Seeing as how it will be their only officially liscensed online NFL title, for the next 5 years. It might mean the game stays online longer than it ever would have because of this.

Ooh, good point.

lordnikon wrote:
In some ways this will cause developers to take risks they NEVER would have taken before because they are now out from underneath the protective sheath of selling a game with liscensed teams. One such game is the new Blitz game from midway. Which I will be making a news post on. They are supposed to be making it crazier than ever before. Something they obviously would never have done had they still had the liscense to nba players.

So I guess in some ways this is infact returning the development of video games in the purest forum, to their roots. Making a game with just awsome gameplay, and innovative game material as well.

I hope the non-liscensed games rise forth and maintain a strong pressence in the industry despite the absence of official teams and players.

Ooh...another good point. Wink

I guess this deal isn't THAT bad after all.
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:11 am
quote : #11
I think Sega just has the worst luck in the world. They finally blow out of their shell with ESPN 2k5 and we get this bullshit ass anouncement. The gaming market is gonna take a huge blow from this one.

This is how I found out that something was wrong. On Saturday, I was watching ESPN. And for some strange reason, the show was sponsored by EA's Madden 04, WHAT THE FUCK?!!!! Why would ESPN have EA's name all over it's network. Then come yesterday, after not being here for quite a while, I see the headline.

This is the worst that can happen. I've never been a Madden fan at all and just the other day, my brother(Madden's biggest fan) said that he didn't like Madden anymore because ESPN was so good. Well, now we're all assed out because we only have 2 NFL games to choose from.
XBOX - Ninja Gaiden & Halo 2 Limited Collector's Edition
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:56 am
quote : #12
oh yeah i just read EA bought 20% of Ubisoftts stock .man these guys sure are startin to go on a shopping spree lately
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:52 am
quote : #13
Gforce wrote:
oh yeah i just read EA bought 20% of Ubisoftts stock .man these guys sure are startin to go on a shopping spree lately

Yea, so what's next...EA France? Shocked

kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:38 pm
quote : #14
I've been wondering how this was going to play out for quite some time now. I was hoping this would't be the result, but looking back, I'm not surprised.

ABC, the network that produces Monday Night Football, and ESPN are now both subsidiaries of Disney. One of the results of that merger is that ESPN now runs ABC Sports and produces Monday Night Football. John Madden's presence on Monday Night Football has resulted in a significant increase in ratings (and revenue) for the network since he joined a couple of years ago. The dilemna with this situation is that by ESPN partnering with Sega and Madden utilizing the Monday Night Football look and feel with EA, ESPN is esentially competing with itself.

From a business perspective, that sort of relationship conflict doesn't make any sense at all, and I'm sure Disney is just working to correct the situation (with EA's help Rolling Eyes ). Unfortunately, the solution they appear to be working toward leaves Sega out in the cold. Instead, we'll end up seeing EA's name and sponsorship all over ESPN. I also think ESPN's brand will start appearing in future editions of Madden.

EA Sports sponsorship already appears on www.espnabcsports.com. I couldn't find Sega's name anywhere.

This bites.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:09 pm
quote : #15
Well EA is giving serious thought in giving Madden the boot from their franchises due to this NFL rights purchase and because of it's expensive license, so we might not be seeing any "Madden" games anymore. How this will effect their EA Sports division, I don't know. Also, the "Def Jam" series is considered on being dropped by EA because of it's expensive license.