Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:34 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Why is it that more and more PS2 games are now being developed using Dolby Pro Logic II instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound?

The PS2 is capable of passing on Dolby Digital 5.1, which offers true discrete rear channel separation, but the vast majority of PS2 games use Dolby Pro Logic II, which fudges rear channel separation. I think the only Dolby Digital 5.1 game I own on PS2 is Batman: Vengeance.

It seems to not be an issue on XBox, but PS2 users seem to be getting the shaft on this one. Why?

Steven
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:18 pm
quote : #2
kingofgrills wrote:
Why is it that more and more PS2 games are now being developed using Dolby Pro Logic II instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound?

The PS2 is capable of passing on Dolby Digital 5.1, which offers true discrete rear channel separation, but the vast majority of PS2 games use Dolby Pro Logic II, which fudges rear channel separation. I think the only Dolby Digital 5.1 game I own on PS2 is Batman: Vengeance.

It seems to not be an issue on XBox, but PS2 users seem to be getting the shaft on this one. Why?

As far as I know, the PS2 has NEVER been compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1, Only Pro Logic II is compatiable with the Playstation 2 Hardware.

Cheerz,

PS2 Gamer Tag : adams3428

games online with at the moment : Ghost Recon : Island Thunder | Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow | Need for Speed Underground | FiFa 2004
kingofgrills
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:36 pm
quote : #3
Steven wrote:

As far as I know, the PS2 has NEVER been compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1, Only Pro Logic II is compatiable with the Playstation 2 Hardware.

Cheerz,

I thought so too, but Batman: Vengeance is decoded using Dolby Digital 5.1 on my Yamaha home theater receiver. The receiver wouldn't decode it as Dolby Digital if it wasn't there. That tells me the PS2 is capable of passing a Dolby Digital signal through when using the fiber optic digital audio output.

DietGarfield
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:39 pm
quote : #4
My surround sound is cool.

(because its old) i can set it to Pro Logic, or i can put it on other settings, which uses the other speakers differently.

however, pro logic is the only one that uses the front speaker Confused
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:03 am
quote : #5
kingofgrills wrote:
Steven wrote:

Cheerz,

I thought so too, but Batman: Vengeance is decoded using Dolby Digital 5.1 on my Yamaha home theater receiver. The receiver wouldn't decode it as Dolby Digital if it wasn't there. That tells me the PS2 is capable of passing a Dolby Digital signal through when using the fiber optic digital audio output.

your sound system must be wrong, even on the playstation it says pro logic everywhere it says pro logic the playstation 2 just isn't capable of producing dolby digital 5.1.

cheerz,

PS2 Gamer Tag : adams3428

games online with at the moment : Ghost Recon : Island Thunder | Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow | Need for Speed Underground | FiFa 2004
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:13 am
quote : #6
isnt 5.1 more popular
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:48 am
quote : #7
Steven wrote:

your sound system must be wrong, even on the playstation it says pro logic everywhere it says pro logic the playstation 2 just isn't capable of producing dolby digital 5.1.

cheerz,

I doubt my Yamaha home theater receiver is wrong about the input signal it receives. In fact, the Dolby Digital insignia is imprinted right on the back of the Batman: Vengeance case.

I think it is possible to use Dolby Digital if the developer chooses to utilize the format on a DVD-ROM based game.

Stan64
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:21 pm
quote : #8
Cheaper Licensees, most games only have surround in the videos though. =P
Posted:
Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:48 am
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U/C
ps2 can do 5.1 in dvd playback it definently do it, and in metal ger solid 2 substance it has 5.1 cut scenes. I just don't think PS2 is really power full enough to do 5.1 all the time, thats my take on it.

Phredreeke
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #10
kingofgrills wrote:

The PS2 can do 5.1 in cutscenes (where it just pass on a pre-encoded audiostream), but not in-game (where it would have to compress on its own). Instead of DD5.1 it uses PCM, which is uncompressed.

The reason Xbox games can have 5.1 in game is because its supported by the audio chip.