Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
How many ppl here use ICS Dial-up? Are you connections good?
I use ICS connection's great!
10%
10% [ 1 ]
I use ICS connection is ok.
30%
30% [ 3 ]
I use ICS connection sucks...
0%
0% [ 0 ]
I don't use ICS. I have BB.
60%
60% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10
TheBox3000
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:02 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey what's up OC. I'm new to this forum and when i read that Dial-up on BB is possible I was so excited because BB isn't available in my area.So i want to know if anybody can give me a complete list of games that work with ICS ex: MK:D and RE:Outbreak. I have'nt purchased my network adaptor and crossover cable yet so please let me know. Thanks in advance. Smile

OnlineConsoles.com Rock!!! Very Happy

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:34 pm
quote : #2
Welcome to the OC, and I wanna start off by saying that I'm currently doing the whole "ICS over dial-up" thing. Been doing it for a good few months now, ever since I joined this site, actually. In that sense, I'm just like you. Smile

Anyway, to answer your question, ANY broadband game can be played over dial-up through ICS (just wait, though...read on). There's no limitation there; SOCOM II, MK: Deception, R&C: Up Your Aresnal, RE: Outbreak, etc. etc. The real question is, which games perform better than others? That's where I can help you with my experiences.

Hmm...well, now, the real-er question is really what broadband-only games are you interested in? If it's from any game I currently own (check out my game collection at IGN or my profile here at OC for the online games I have), I can help you out. Two games I recommend right out the bat are Auto Modellista, the best-running ICS game (in my opinion), and Twisted Metal:Black ONLINE - great with 8 players, if you have a good host. For games that are already dial-up and broadband compatible, two that come up immediately are Amplitude and Tribes: Aerial Assault, simple.

I've actually talked about my recommendations in detail for ICS dial-up gamers here, check it out: http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1043

Very Happy
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:39 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
damn michae u've got assloads of demo discs and ps2 games where do ya keeep em all?
And secondly the ICS thing got me excited to and was the main reason i joined here and a bb-only game id recommend is socom not serious sam or midnight club either because ull suffer many dropped connections but Socom 1 is good with du?
Oh yes michae have tried any other 16plyr shooters out besides socom?if you have do tell?
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:53 pm
quote : #4
When you get some free time go to this site: http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp
and test your connection at least 2 times and tell me what you got because it appears my modem may be damaged. It's supposed to be a 56k but it connects at 31.2 k. And my results on the test site say this: 25.36 Kbps. Apparently that's my speed and I'm pretty sure that's no good at all.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:47 pm
quote : #5
6. I have a 56K modem. Why is my result lower than 56.6 Kbps?
Your 56K modem has the ability to transfer up to 56.6 Kbps or 56,600 bps. But that doesn't mean that you can connect to the Internet at that speed. There are many factors involved, including the quality of your telephone line, the quality your telephone company's switches, and FCC regulations.

That's from the site and I couldn't have said it better.

TheBox3000
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:08 pm
quote : #6
I found out that my modem is damaged because the pc i had before(which was the same as the one im using now) had to be exchanged after a week of cutting off randomly because a virus was already on it. Anyway when i used the internet i was connecting at 50.2k-44k no problem. But when i got the one i have now it connects at 31.2k and let me remind you its the same computer ,same modem etc. It's my fault that i spent $200 dollars in the 1st place to get this cpu they have been nothing but trouble. I had my line tested and everything and i know its possible to connect at higher speeds than 31.2k on my phone line. So im taking this comp back over the weekend to exchange it. Exchanging this same model is getting very old. Hopefully comp # 3 will work correctly.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:34 pm
quote : #7
TheBox3000 wrote:
I had my line tested and everything and i know its possible to connect at higher speeds than 31.2k on my phone line.

Line test?is there a website that has a program for that or do you have to ask phone company about it?
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:52 pm
quote : #8
To get my line tested required that i call my phone company.

Posted Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:19 pm:

I have a question about the network card. I have a 10/100 Ethernet card so will it still work with the crossover cable . So that i can trick the network adaptor into thinking it's getting a bb connection?

BlingShyne2
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:53 pm
quote : #9
Let me get this strait...

Are you talking about Dial-Up users, can have access to BB only games, and play them?

Or have I lost my mind...

Question
Confused
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
I <3 Lord Nikon! Smile
TheBox3000
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:51 pm
quote : #10
Quote:
Are you talking about Dial-Up users, can have access to BB only games, and play them?

Check this page for more details: http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/cms_view_article.php?aid=6

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:39 pm
quote : #11
BlingShyne2 wrote:
Let me get this strait...

Or have I lost my mind...

Question
Confused

lol man where have you been?
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:11 pm
quote : #12
I looked at the page, and I don't udnerstand...

I'm a dumbass when it comes to computers...
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
I <3 Lord Nikon! Smile
TheBox3000
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:41 pm
quote : #13
BlingShyne2 wrote:
I looked at the page, and I don't udnerstand...

I'm a dumbass when it comes to computers...

Basically ICS shares your internet connection so if dial up was your internet connection u could use it as Broadband or so the ps2 thinks Wink

BlingShyne2
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:04 pm
quote : #14
I understand that, but I just don't understand how to do it...
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
I <3 Lord Nikon! Smile
TheBox3000
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:55 pm
quote : #15
BlingShyne2 wrote:
I understand that, but I just don't understand how to do it...

Ohh ask MICHAE2414 if he could help you. He's helping me! Smile